Cracking open a window...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokeless

Oct 20, 2008
Northeast CT
Is it a necessity to open a window slightly, across the other side of my ranch, to provide fresh air?

Stove is doing great, draft seems great, why do I have to open a window slightly to start sucking 30 degree air into my nice warm house?

My place is not air tight, so I'm sure the stove can get what it needs without the window open. I have a CO detector in the same room.

Just seems counter productive because I can feel the cold draft... seems like a waste.

What's the scoop?

Thanks!

I've seen it reccomended for vent free units. I've seen it helpful when starting a fire. I'm not sure why you would have it open in the course of a regular wood fire.

Matt

Why are you opening the window in the first place?

Smokeless said:
My place is not air tight...
If it is a multi-storey, the warm air will leak out due to the stack effect, leaving the downstairs with a negative pressure that cracking the window mitigates. You need to seal up where warm air leaks out so that you won't need to let in so much cold air to make up for the loss.

I don't have a brand new, air tight house. I certainly don't open up any windows during the winter. I do know people that run their stoves so hot that they have to open a window because it's too hot inside the house, but I personally don't like my house that hot and I don't run my stove that way.

If you don't have a problem with the stove drawing, or getting a fire started, then I don't see any reason to open any windows. Rick

Thank you to everyone for such quick answers.

When my Regency was installed, the installer gave me a few tips about running the ceiling paddle fan, opening a far window a crack and setting up a fan in a back room blowing cold air towards the stove (living room). I also have forced hot air and have tried the blower. I think the air cools off too much for the furnaces blower to do any good. So far I still have not needed to turn on the furnace (Yeah!).

But anyway, I didn’t know if the Regency needed some additional air. I didn’t want to smother it and cause a CO problem, etc. Just all newbie paranoia kicking in.

I am finally able to leave the house in the morning with the stove blazing... I think I will be investing in a wireless Internet camera and set up a "Stove Cam" so I can keep an eye on it while at work... : o )

it seems to me if you can run the stove effeciently and start it fine i dont see any reason to open up a window and let cold in ..even for the startup process ,if theres a leak it will find it and make use of the pressure and draft it requires

I agree. If the stove works great leave the window shut.

For a second I though you was taking up one of our Oklahoma backward traditions of running the stove and the window wide open.

When my stove is cold, the pipe in the exterior chase is cold and I've been getting a definate cold air downdraft. An cracked window and some pieces of newspaper get things going in the right direction. What could be annoying though, is that even with the controls damped, there could be some cold air coming into the house.

:lol: Yeah, Bobby, I understand your way of dealing with the pecan harvest is to throw them back up into the trees. Interesting what innovations come out of Oklahoma. Rick

fossil said:
:lol: Yeah, Bobby, I understand your way of dealing with the pecan harvest is to throw them back up into the trees. Interesting what innovations come out of Oklahoma. Rick

:) You figured that out quick! Game wardens around here call it baiting the deer.

Status
Not open for further replies.