Crackling noises heard from Oak in the stove room.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
I was sitting by the fire one night and I thought I heard a mouse... So I went over to the wood pile and nothing was there. I kept hearing this crackling noise. Soon enough I figured out that it was coming from some Oak splits that I had brought in the night before. I assume it is cracking the wood due to the heat and lack of humidity. Anybody else hearing this?

I've heard of it. Never myself.

It's hard to hear if the blower is running or the room is noisy. But it really shows up when all is quiet.

I always assumed it was splits shifting in the wheelbarrow..... I don't notice it in the log cart. I will have to pay more attention.

I dont know about oak, but i have some ash that crackles like eggs in a frying pan when i throw it in.

I hear it all the time. I have a log hoop about 16" from my stove. And my oak is covered but its stored outdoors.
The wood is stress cracking.

I hear it a lot when resizing splits on the band saw.

I hear it on all the wood I bring in. Moisture expanding in the wood from the heat is my thought.
'

fv

I heard a scraping noise once in my living room. It sounded like a mouse in the wall but it was coming from the hearth. It drove me nuts for about half an hour until I found a bore hole in a piece of firewood and the noise was coming from it. It must have been a grub eating away. I had no idea they could be that noisy.

Status
Not open for further replies.