Q&A Cracks in Dutchwest woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have hairline cracks that have formed in the side wall and back wall of a "Federal A-Plus" stove, which is 12 years old. Is this a major concern?

Answer:

Well, yes and no. That stove was an early model, made in Taiwan and not of the highest quality. 12 years is not a bad life span for something like that. I'd keep an eye on it and maybe replace it when you have the money. A newer stove will also be much more efficient on wood and allow a nicer view of the fire.

Do I think it will fall apart and spread fire on your floor? Probably not...but I have heard of these early Dutchwests cracking badly enough that they were rendered unsafe.

Status
Not open for further replies.