Craft Stove Doesnt Have fire bricks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tnphoto1974

Jan 8, 2010
Louisville, KY
Hi guys, I just bought a used craft stove model 4380 or 4830, cant remember which. It is an insert with blowers on each end. I noticed it doesnt have firebrick and appears to be a solid molded concrete or other inside. Does this sound normal? Most stoves Ive seen have firebrick. I was just curious if anyone has one like it or knows the type. Ive attached a pic of one like it. Thanks

Attachments

• 3n93k13oa5O15R25S99cv074bbb57a49315ee.jpg
    3n93k13oa5O15R25S99cv074bbb57a49315ee.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 4,494
Sounds like my old craft stove insert, it did not have firebricks either. You can tell these stoves were not built to have firebricks due to not having the firebrick holders mounted on the sides. What yours has is refractory cement on the bottom to act like a firebrick, whether someone put that there or if it is from the factory is unknown to me.

Mine had been burned for many years with no firebricks, didn't hurt it any, but it did not retain heat as well as it should have.

You could make some holders using L shaped brackets and welding them to the firebox if you feel you gotta have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.