Craft Stove Orientation - Newbie Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

astebelton

Dec 20, 2010
Beavercreek, OH
Hi all! I'm hoping the community can help out a newbie here with some basic info. I've searched and searched for a manual but if there is such a thing for this stove, I cannot find it.

We've been in our house for two years and just a couple weeks ago used the stove for the first time (power went out and it was about 15 degrees outside). I got it figured out enough to keep us nice and warm, just want to make sure I'm on the right track and see if there are any tips from experienced users so I can burn safely & efficiently.

1) Do the brass knobs in the photo serve any purpose? One turns and stops, the other just keeps spinning.
2) Our smoke detector went off early on, I think because I had the draft knobs open too much. I closed them about halfway and the alarms stopped.
3) Am I using the correct terminology in my photo?
4) Would there be any reason to only partially open the damper? I opened it all the way when I used it, just curious if that is correct.
5) My assumption is that the draft knobs regulate the airflow , therefore regulating burn rate and ultimately heat output, is this correct?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks!
Allen

Attachments

• Craft-Stove.jpg
    Craft-Stove.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 4,281
1. Brass knobs are for looks only
2. Check to see if this is a slammer install (No liner attached to insert when you pull it out) you might have draft issues
3. Yes
4. Damper is open during start and slowly closed during peak burn times (*Warning* burning with it all the way closed can create creosote)
5. Between the draft knobs and the damper is how you control burn rate

Do you have the squirrel cage fan that attaches to the blower inlet? It should be a black box with a fan speed control knob.

I would have a chimney cleaning service come out and check/clean your chimney before using that insert. I had 2 chimney fires using that insert so please take my advice seriously.

Edit: Btw, it looks like that stove has already been over fired several times, I would not burn in it without having it checked out by a professional first.

Status
Not open for further replies.