Craft Wood stove install question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XJ99

I bought a Craft Wood stove and it has a weird outlet. It is 18" long by 4" wide. From what I've read, I need to have a direct connection to the flue. The guy I bought the stove from just through his in the fireplace, sealed it with house insullation, and put roof flashing around it. He has nothing connecting the insert to the flue. I also talked to a guy that works with Craft Stoves, and said I don't need a direct connection. Also, my fire place has an "S" type deal I believe is for the smoke chamber. It looks impossible to get a pipe up into the flue.

So do I have a special stove that can slide right in?

Here are some pics:

SPA0629.jpg

SPA0632.jpg

DSCF9129.jpg

Looking straight up into the chimney: (it S curves up to the flue)

DSCF9117.jpg

I know I'll probably get flamed for this one;
I thought stacking some bricks on top would help funnel the smoke up to the chimney.
(I already took them out)

DSCF9126.jpg

I'm new to this, so take it easy........

Usually no flaming, just a bunch of good hearted folks that will give honest, practical, professional advice, and help you do this safely..Congrats on the new stove.

Bob

Thanks, I guess I'm just used to other forums. :cheese:

I really need to get this thing fired up. I boought it cause the gas got shut off, and the cost to get it turned on was almost the same as the stove I bought. This weekend is going to be cold, so would it hurt to run it for a little while? It's fairly easy to pull out and check for carbon build up.

Code wise that stove can not be legally installled All stoves today have to be damper plated and vented to 1/2 into the first clay flue.

Second reason that stove or any other stove can not be installed The existing masonary fire box and brick work, has to be NFPA 211 Compliant.
Yours is not. No insert can be installed in your fireplace in it's current condition .Viewing the pictures there is far too much old motar missing in the brick joints
This usually indicates, the existing motar is precariously condition as well . In my town I would never issue a permit to install that stove
All stoves have to be listed and labled. I also would have to condem your fireplace and never allow its usage till it is restored to being code compliant

Not flaming you, but telling you the plain cold facts of your situation. Better to find out now, then having that stove ehpixiate you. Without proper venting and damper plate
that is a very likely possibility. That's why I would never issue a permit.

You have to address that chimney condition before considering any aditional wood stoves applications

Oh, and to make matters worse somebody put expandable foam in the heat chamber between the firebox, and the outside shell. It's a real pain to get to the stuff.

DSCF9157.gif

DSCF9162.gif

DSCF9165.gif

:-S

I have to return to work but prosise to respond later and try to help you outt

I'd be very afraid to burn that stove in my house. Obviously they guy that you bought it from had it installed wrong. Elk will steer you right, even if it seems like a big expense, you and your family can sleep in peace, instead of "rest in peace".

Just curious as to the two protrusions on the top front corners, they look like vents of some kind, or are they just decorative?

Gibbonboy said:
Just curious as to the two protrusions on the top front corners, they look like vents of some kind, or are they just decorative?

Yeah, thay are just decoration..

elkimmeg said:
I have to return to work but prosise to respond later and try to help you outt

Please do, I have a welder and can fab it up to make it right. Are you talking about having an adapter go from the stove up to the flue? I can weld something up to make it longer. The stove itself is in good shape, it's a very solid heavy unit. I can also fill in the brick with mortar, that's not a problem.

This is what the firebox looks like:

DSCF9107.gif

I was told the missing mortar in there wouldn't matter since there will be no flame in it..

Its not up to me to determine whether that insert is legal to install. What does your inspector say? Find out if he will approve an unlisted stove to be installed.
Also check with your home owners insurance company. See if an un permitted un listed adapted stove is covered.

Required is, once that adapter passes threw the damper it has to be stainless steel Again you inspector can advise what he will approve. Better him than me.
According to code a chimney report is required prior to issuing any permit. I will take a report from a licenced mason or licenced chimney sweep. I usually require them,
for chimnys older that 10 years.

What's with the very combustiable expanded foam in one of your pictures?

That is a very shallow fireplace.

As Elk says, it's tough to diagnose from afar. At minimum you need to get an adapter which will bolt down to the top of the unit (they are available) and transition to an oval pipe - which would at least go up 5 feet from the stove.

All the advice you are getting about slipping it in is wrong. It is not a special unit....just an old one. And just like an old car might not have seat belts or air bags, this older stove was not subject to the changes in code and design of the past 20 years.

Elk has seen a lot of fireplaces.....and he and I have seen a lot where there is wood in the wall above the fireplace front! So, even with the direct venting, there is concern about excess heat in this area. Perhaps a sheet metal heat shield up there will help....

Most experts here, myself included, would not install an older stove like that in our own homes...to many problems with excess creosote in the chimney, smoking out the neighbors, etc. - Then again, if I was on a tight budget and needed the heat....I'd do it as best I can, and try to burn it right.

I'm going to have my neighbor advise me as well. He used to do Chimney sweeps, plus insert installs. I'll have to have him take a look at it. About the foam, I have no idea why anyone would do that. It took me over 3 hours to get it all out of there.

Webmaster said:
Most experts here, myself included, would not install an older stove like that in our own homes...to many problems with excess creosote in the chimney, smoking out the neighbors, etc. - Then again, if I was on a tight budget and needed the heat....I'd do it as best I can, and try to burn it right.

I'm on an extremly tight budget. In all I'm into this thing for about $350. Also, I can pull the insert out pretty easy. I can check for excess creosote on a monthly basis if I need to. I have no other source of heat at the moment, so I need to do the best I can with what I've got. The chimney as of now is very clean if that makes a difference? Also if I get an insert, do I have to line both outlets on the chimeny? It has 2 holes that run side by side.

Status
Not open for further replies.