Craftsbury bottom up flue cleaning- help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 23, 2010
Cleveland, Ohio
I have the Sooeater, chimney cleaning kit, and I wanted to try it out today and get my chimney cleaned up. I removed the top of the stove, and the two bolts that hold the secondary tubes and ceramic baffle, but I can't get them out. Can anyone tell me how to get it out? I don't see any other way of cleaning bottom up without remove the tubes/baffle.

I'm not familiar with your stove, so I can't give you any specific advice. I use the Sooteater on both of my stoves, bottom up, and I like it. My little Century stove in the workshop is pretty straightforward, just a few baffle bricks to remove and I'm ready to roll. The Lopi Liberty is a good deal more complex, but the owner's manual has some instructions and diagrams in the back "maintenance" section that provide all the guidance I need to get the baffle bricks out and git 'er done. I don't need to remove the secondary air tubes to do that stove, just the baffle bricks & supporting rails and the bypass damper assembly. Do you have an owner's manual for your stove? If not, is the manual for your stove available online? Good luck. Rick

I do have an owners manual but it has no detail on the assembly. I have instructions for baffle replacement, but they aren't very clear.
When I remove the two bolts holding the baffle in place, per the instructions, I should be able to lift it out. The baffle is hitting another part in the stove that's holding the whole front of the stove together. If I start taking that apart, I'll have the stove in pieces. There has to be some way to get it out without taking it all apart.

Dan, thanks, yes this is what I have.

UPDATE:

After emailing back and forth with a Hearthstone rep, I was able to remove the baffle and get my cleaning done. The directions for removing it were not very clear. The baffle retainer is held in by countersunk Phillips head screws, which the directions merely refer to as "bolts". Also, the directions say the only tools required are a 10mm socket or wrench. With that I was trying to remove the entire baffle and secondary tube assembly which was not required. I was a little concerned removing the baffle alone, because I thought it would be very brittle, but I was careful and it stayed intact. Anyway, long story short I was able to get it cleaned up and I'm happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.