Craftsman 27 ton log splitter ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FWest

Jan 8, 2007
Maine
Model # 24BG57M1799

I'm looking for a splitter of my own after borrowing one the last few years. I believe the sears machines are the same as MTD. I would like to take advantage of the 12 month free financing but am unsure of the quality.

Any experience with this model or similar units ?

Thanks

I bought the same one last year about his time. I've done about 5 cords with it so far and no problems. I would like to fabricate a table to attach to it but other than that it does what it's suppose to. Haven't found anything that it can't split.

Model # 24BG57M1799

I'm looking for a splitter of my own after borrowing one the last few years. I believe the sears machines are the same as MTD. I would like to take advantage of the 12 month free financing but am unsure of the quality.

Any experience with this model or similar units ?

Thanks
Strongly consider the Huskee 22, you can not go wrong.......

Reactions: Driver
I bought the same one last year about his time. I've done about 5 cords with it so far and no problems. I would like to fabricate a table to attach to it but other than that it does what it's suppose to. Haven't found anything that it can't split.

How slow is the ram ? Does the engine seem to be decent quality ? Have you changed the hyd fluid ? Do you think the wedge would take a 4 way splitter ?

RAM- Thanks for the tip. I may go to look at one shortly

The ram is no slower then any other splitter that I have used. The engine seems fine. Starts on the first pull and hasn't been bogged down at all. Haven't changed the fluid yet. I haven't come across a 4way splitter that will fit. If you find one let me know. I only split for myself not commercially so it's not that big of a deal. For the price I would buy it again Ina flash.

Strongly consider the Huskee 22, you can not go wrong.......
I was in the same situation, was using a borrowed 20 ton Duerr splitter for years, I tried to buy it but the neighbor wouldn't sell, just said keep using it. I figured it was time for my own, due to the amount of wood I split, so I did a lot of comparing, and bought the Huskee 22. Works great, built heavy, split everything I threw at it so far and there has been some nasty stuff. I looked at the MTD lines and really didn't like the way the cylinder was attached, just looked like something to wear out quicker, just my opinion though.

If you want opinions on that Craftsman, look at reviews for the Troy-Bilt splitter available at Lowes and other places. Same machine, different label.

Huskee advantages = faster cycle time, higher beam, in-beam log cradle, beefy log dislodger, fully supported clevis mounted cylinder, great customer service.

I plan on checking out the huskee soon. Seems to get great reviews and would save a bit over the craftsman.

I'm a fan of the in-beam log cradle. See also SpeeCo (makes Huskee), Oregon, and Dirty Hand Tools for more models with this feature.

The DHT models have good cycle times.

I'm a fan of the in-beam log cradle. See also SpeeCo (makes Huskee), Oregon, and Dirty Hand Tools for more models with this feature.

The DHT models have good cycle times.
The "in beam Log cradle".....is that the area on the beam that is curled inward ???.....on mine, that area keeps getting clogged with wood scraps and is a PITA to clear....sometimes while splitting, it'll catch the bottom of the split and not allow it (the split) to spread. Other than that, great splitter for the $$$.....take it from me, change the engine oil at 5 hours.

See also SpeeCo (makes Huskee)
That's good to know. I thought Huskee was MTD (Troybilt, Cub Cadet, Yard Man, Yard Machine, probably others now).

Ariens also has some units at Home Depot worth looking at. Some others you can look at are the Brave Products line of splitters as well, I believe in some locations TSC or Big R carry them.

My understanding is the newer model Huskee 22 come with a Kohler engine ?

Another vote for the Huskee 22 ton. I have had mine for two years worth of wood not a problem with it yet around 30 cord.
I do not care for the trunnion cylinder mount on the MTD's, The clevis mounts are stronger. As far as motors they can all be changed out for another one fairly cheep "IF" they happen to die after the warrantee is up. For cold starting I did change my oil to full synthetic and re gapped the plug. It started @ -15°. I do wish it had a choke inline with the primer bulb (that may change).

I bought the Sears splitter in 2006. No issues at all. Have changed hydo filter twice, and engine oil twice. For $999. I can't complain .

The "in beam Log cradle".....is that the area on the beam that is curled inward ???

Yes.

.....on mine, that area keeps getting clogged with wood scraps and is a PITA to clear....sometimes while splitting, it'll catch the bottom of the split and not allow it (the split) to spread. Other than that, great splitter for the $$$.....take it from me, change the engine oil at 5 hours.

I also have to clear the bark from that area, but not very often. Maybe it's because I have the wider beam of the 35-ton model. I see it as a good trade-off. I clear bark every so often, but I get a holder that does a very good job of holding a log on the beam and centering it.

I bought the Sears splitter in 2006. No issues at all. Have changed hydo filter twice, and engine oil twice. For $999. I can't complain .

If the 27 ton was still $999 I would have it, just could not bring myself to spend any more for a home use machine. Also I called around to the TSC, they only have the Briggs engines, the Kohler will be in there fall line and one store said the brand will change to Country line.

So Briggs and Stratton it is. Thanks for all the input guys.

Anyone have any experience with the 37 ton Rugged Made? I saw an ad for them the other day. Look very nice. I think $1500.

Picked up the Huskee this morning. Was one of only 2 that were still on a pallet and covered by plastic. It does have the BS engine.

Congrats, this should keep you very. Happy for a very long time.....

I am ready to "play" but the snow is still covering the majority of my wood, although I did dig out a few rounds to test.

Good luck with the Huskee! I have the same unit and as far as the B&S motor, I changed my oil after 20 minutes of run time, no serious splitting-small easy stuff and another oil change after 2.5 hours. The oil gets an ugly shade of grey that I did not like-I posted pictures somewhere on here. After that last oil change she is clear after 5 more hrs running 50% synthetic. I run mine at about 2/3 throttle for peak torque instead of full throttle.

If you like it as much as I like mine you will be very happy. I do run mine at full throttle as my tach says it is only turning 3400 rpms. Plus with the oil slinger they have, I like the thought of more oil being splashed around

Great splitter for the $$....the only issues I had with mine was a couple of leaks, a problem with the wrong wheel bearings being installed (wheel loose as all heck), the throttle linkage kept falling apart, and a blown motor in less than a year.....don't panic......the only REAL problem was the throttle linkage which I bypassed, and a couple of hose leaks.....all the other issues were because some kid assembled it wrong from TSC, and I ignored the oil change after 5 hours......change that engine oil, replacement cost was $500. I called Speeco about the wheel bearing, within 2 days, I had a whole tire/wheel/ bearing assembly to bolt on

Status
Not open for further replies.