Craftsman Oiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

04HemiRam2500

Feeling the Heat
Jul 10, 2013
SW PA
I have a barely used 42cc 18 inch craftsman. The oiler at times does not give enough oil then too much. It is also always leaking bar oil. I replaced the oil pump with a new one but still no dice!! I am thinking that there is something wrong with the tank? Any advice is appreciated thanks.

Get the exact model #...something like 358.XXXXXX. Then can get parts diagram and see oiler parts.

I am not sure about the model at the moment. However, I know that it uses one of the oiler pumps that run off of the spiral gear just like the latest poulan chainsaws. I know because I already replaced it and still no luck.

I have the same saw with the same problems. I just use an old mustard or ketchup plastic bottle and squirt chain oil on that way every few cuts. I still fill the resivoir tho. I guess that is a psychological thing lol.

Did you do anything else to try to fix it? Also, what causes this it has to be something?

Here is a video on a Poulan (who probably made your Craftsman) oiler replacement. One thing I see is the pickup tube has a metal filter - it may be partially clogged.

Thanks for the video. I also wanted to mention that before I use the saw I run the bar near a log and wait to see the oil line. I think that for my saw it takes some time to see the line. Anyhow, I bring this up because is there anything else that can cause the bar and chain to get hot and smoke like that. P.s. The chain is not too tight you can lift it a little off the bar.

Take the B & C off, run saw at half speed (it can overrev without a B&C load if you WOT) and see if oil comes out the hole on the saw case. Check bar groove and holes for blockage. Did you change chains and put the bar further out or in where it could be covering the oiler slot?

Check filter, line, grommet fits, tank cap or vent, all the basics. If it is leaking oil out it is probably sucking air into the same spo

Where's the bar oil leaking from? Could the oil tank be cracked?

The bar oil leaks near the clutch cover where it should go on the bar. Instead, I think most of it is just dripping down. I have yet to take it apart again I will let you know what I find.

I have yet to mess with the saw yet. However, since the model number sticker is missing off of the saw I found the manual. The model number is 358.360380

Okay I replaced the oiler pump and now it is under oiling. I go to rev it near a log and it takes a good 3 to 5 Mississippi's to see oil on a log. Then, if I let it idle down it will do the same thing again and it smoken like crazy in a log any suggestion. P.S. I also replaced the oil cap to check.

Have you looked on YouTube for videos on the oil pump repair? Sounds like it might not be installed correctly?

Above and below the 2 holes, inside the rails, is a rectangular slot in which oil flows. Are these slots partially clogged?
Is pickup tube from oil tank partially clogged?

chainsaw_guide1.jpg

JUST MY 2 CENTS. I DEALT WITH THOSE SAWS (SEARS, HD, LOWES, ETC...) FOR YEARS. WAS NOT WORTH IT- TRYING TO SAVE A FEW BUCKS, ACTUALLY A FEW HUNDRED. THEY NEVER LAST. THEY'RE CHEAP , "HOMEOWNER" SAWS. THEY'RE PROBABLY OK FOR THE FEW TIMES A TREE GOES DOWN ON YOUR PROPERTY OR TO PRUNE A FEW BRANCHES. WHEN I USED THOSE SAWS, MY MENTALITY WAS TO HAVE ONE OR TWO "BACKUP" SAWS, FOR WHEN IT CRAPS OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF A HUGE CRAIGSLIST SCORE. A FEW YEARS AGO, I FINALLY SPENT THE MONEY ON 2 NICE SAWS, ONE BIG HUSQVARNA 460 W 24" BAR AND A STIHL 290. I BEAT THE HELL OUT OF THESE ALL YEAR AND THEY NEVER LET ME DOWN. THIS WAS A TIME TO SPEND THE MONEY AND HAVE NOT LOOKED BACK. WITH THE MONEY I SAVE WITH BURNING "FREE" WOOD, THOSE 2 SAWS WERE PAID FOR IN ONE YEAR EASILY. GOOD LUCK

I think that they are still good saws but they do tend to require more maintenance. I did watch the youtube videos about installing the pump. Maybe that worm gear is a little off but how can you tell if it is set properly. It is not a bar issue because I have tried a variety of bars.

The 358 code is Beaird/ Poulan. Which was built before Eletrolux/Husqvarna took them over. They are a pro built saw and well worth fixing. I would pick a 358 prefix saw over the cheaper built but not $ offerings of either Stihl or Husquvarna. As said above check the whole oil system first. You can also thin your bar oil with diesel or kero and see if that cleans any crud out of the system.

This might be dumb but I did not realize this. I got this saw off of someone the bar at the end that goes under the clutch cover has a cut out it is not attached. Therefore, maybe the oil is not getting to the bar. In other words the pic that dougand3 posted is cut out and open. I am thinking wrong bar I will try with a different one let me know if this could be a problem! Also, do some saws use these type of bars what is the difference.

If the cutout is what I think it is it may be normal and correct. Baileys and Oregon have a very good bar charts. Your saw is listed at Baileys. There should be some numbers on the tail of your bar what are they?

Okay sorry to revive this thread just had time to mess with the craftsman saw again. When the bar and clutch cover is off the oil just drips out of the black hole on the chainsaw instead of spitting out. Any ideas what I should look at? Thanks all.

Okay so I think I got the problem fixed! With the bar off and the silver plate covering the oil hole that goes on the clutch clover bolts off. How fast should oil be coming out of the saw it just streams out and flows down the saw is that it? Or is it suppose to squirt out?

No they don't squirt. You can clean it out by dumping the oil and running some diesel or kerosene through it.

The kerosene won't eat that plastic stuff on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.