craftsman snowblower problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 5hp craftsman snowblower that bought used. I got it home and it had no power. I brought it back and the guy, he changed to oil. It was almost grey and foamy. He made what looked like some carb adjustments and told me he increased the rpm's. Now I use the thing and it just doesnt seem to have the power it should. I have to keep on the 1st speed selection or it will take off. as far as reverse it is super slow. So slow that I dont use it. And it seems to make a high pitch whining sound. Any suggestions?

Well - any way you look at it, that doesn't sound good. Gray/foamy oil can be a sign of water - though I doubt any 5hp engine has a liquid cooled engine. Is it possible the rig set out in the weather/rain? It would also be important if the oil was 'sparkly' gray - as that is most likely metal shavings from inside the engine. If the high pitch whining is coming from the engine, it's most likely a bad bearing or possibly piston rings chattering against the cylinder. Do you get any blue/black smoke? Blue smoke most likely means the rings are shot and you're down on power due to low compression. Black smoke means the engine is running rich - again causing a loss of power.

Either way, I think it might be time to look for a refund unless you got a super good deal or bought it knowing the engine was possibly bad.

Good Luck!

When I bought the machine the guy told me he left it outside and the greay stuff was from condensation. So far the oil has been fine. As far as coloerd smoke its not blue. I thinkg it may be running rich. The engine doesnt run with a steady sound. Sounds as if its breaking up. It has power to move snow, but tends to want to bog down when loaded. Does anyone know how to tourn down the RPM's.

The Best Snowblower and Lawnmower Forum has some links to interpreting Tecumseh engine numbers, and a link to download the engine tech manual. They also have some good expertise on working on the machines. They know almost as much about OPE as our users know about wood stoves...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.