Craftsman Tools

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you break Craftsman tools on a regular basis you ain't livin right !

I have old skool craftmans that has litterally taking a beating. AbsolutLEE you can break something if you try, but if it is a regular occurance you ain't using the right tool (goto 1/2" drive or whatever).

I have old skool craftmans that has litterally taking a beating. AbsolutLEE you can break something if you try, but if it is a regular occurance you ain't using the right tool (goto 1/2" drive or whatever).
Agreed.
I see too many dewfuss's put a cheater pipe on a 3/8 or 1/2 ratchet and watch it disintegrate and say "WTF" ?
That's what cavemen invented heat for ! That and cookin' meat and drinkin beer 'round .
Ain't livin right.

I disagree, guys. I've seen too many Craftsman 3/8" ratchet selectors break under normal hand use, and even one 1/2" slip and fail. No cheater pipes or hammers, or any other abuse.

Craftsman makes some great tools, of which I own many, but their ratchets are inferior, IMO.

I disagree, guys. I've seen too many Craftsman 3/8" ratchet selectors break under normal hand use, and even one 1/2" slip and fail. No cheater pipes or hammers, or any other abuse.

Craftsman makes some great tools, of which I own many, but their ratchets are inferior, IMO.
I have one (3/8) in my truck for brake adjustment. It's all it does. Nothing more. I have broke 1 on this application. It's not hard use. There are defects in all products.

I bought that set today because I needed a 3/8" wrench to bleed the oil burner line. I needed an SAE set anyway.

I've broken my fair share of Craftsman ratchets (all 3 sizes), but I can say that every time I was putting too much force on them and I should have been using a breaker bar instead. That being said I know my Mac and Snap-On ratchets will take more force before they grenade, but it's still a lot easier to just grab a breaker bar rather than risking breaking a tool.

The one tool that Craftsman makes that does irritate me is the 1/2" to 3/8" adapter. I've broken 3 of them and it took very little torque each time.

I always used to split the deep sockets up the side and the 1/4 and 3/8 drive ratchets would always start to partially freewheel and occasionally the socket release button quits working. Never did break any 1/2" stuff.

I'm done with Craftsman tools, have been for a couple of years. My reason was they started making there tools in China. Sears used to brag how Craftsman tools were made in the USA. Their was even an American Flag emblem on the packaging. Now their is no flag but on the back of the packaging in tiny lettering it says Made in China. The tools look very similar to the older USA version but they're not the same.

Luckily all of mine are USA Craftsman with a healthy dose of Snap On as well. When I figured out they were beginning to dupe people with the China look a likes I grabbed a set of USA made metric and american wrenches as "spares". I have enough redundancy in tools to last my lifetime so if I break a craftsman tool I'll just toss it in the trash.

I love Craftsman tools as long as they are pre-1965. I've got a gorgeous 1955 Craftsman cast iron table saw with 3 cast iron extension wings. I've got another beautiful Craftsman drill press made in 1951. My jointer is a 1950s model. They all work fantastic. They made tools to last a lifetime back then. Planned obsolescence wasn't part of Craftsman's business plan.

I've also got a 1970's era Craftsman band saw which functions properly, but I can't stand the plastic. I will replace it with an older vintage model when I come across one some day. My 70s era belt sander has a bad bearing I need to replace. I love my vintage, heavy cast iron Craftsman machines. I love the pukey smell of my toolboxes from the old screwdriver handles. But I agree with most here. I won't buy any new craftsman products. They need to be at least 25 years older than I am before I'd consider buying Craftsman.

I'm done with Craftsman tools, have been for a couple of years. My reason was they started making there tools in China. Sears used to brag how Craftsman tools were made in the USA. Their was even an American Flag emblem on the packaging. Now their is no flag but on the back of the packaging in tiny lettering it says Made in China. The tools look very similar to the older USA version but they're not the same.

Luckily all of mine are USA Craftsman with a healthy dose of Snap On as well. When I figured out they were beginning to dupe people with the China look a likes I grabbed a set of USA made metric and american wrenches as "spares". I have enough redundancy in tools to last my lifetime so if I break a craftsman tool I'll just toss it in the trash.

Interesting, I shared the same viewpoint two years ago. For non-tool reasons I found myself at Sears at month or two back and I happened upon a set of screw drivers that were indeed Made in the USA again. I'm not sure if Sears changed something in the past 2 years but when I myself "swore them off" there wasn't a USA made set of screw drivers or sockets to be found in the store. Last month I saw several USA made versions of both. I haven't been back yet, however, to confirm whether or not this was a freak stroke of luck.

Interesting, I shared the same viewpoint two years ago. For non-tool reasons I found myself at Sears at month or two back and I happened upon a set of screw drivers that were indeed Made in the USA again. I'm not sure if Sears changed something in the past 2 years but when I myself "swore them off" there wasn't a USA made set of screw drivers or sockets to be found in the store. Last month I saw several USA made versions of both. I haven't been back yet, however, to confirm whether or not this was a freak stroke of luck.

I'll have to check that out. I don't need any more tools thats for sure but if I break something I'll return it for a USA made tool. However, no China tools will be going in my toolbox.

I bought a set of craftsman tools last year the ratchets are crap, I still have the ones from my first craftsman tool set from the late 80's put the new ones in the bottom drawer just in case but never use them.

Last edited:
...if I break something I'll return it for a USA made tool. However, no China tools will be going in my toolbox.
Why's that? Craftsman vs. Craftsman, so it's not like we're talking apples vs. oranges here. Is the same tool designed and licensed by Craftsman and made by some hardworking but unfortunate Chinese factory worker at $0.25 per day somehow inferior to the same tool made by the fat and lazy American worker making far more than he possibly could without union leverage?

Reactions: Lumber-Jack
Well, OK, it looks like this thread has begun it's inexorable downward spiral...

flush.jpg

Reactions: BrotherBart
Status
Not open for further replies.