craig i need some help with the btu nfor coal cause nothing makes sense

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i have no idea..I know the dvc-500 is around 150.00 bucks more then the magnum stoker.I'm not even sure yet what i want to do.

Well, I'm watching this solution. I think that next year I want to put a coal stove or a small wood stove in my basement, and I'm leaning towards coal because of burn times. A Harmon Mark I or a Morso 1410 coal are the two stoves in the running for coal. If wood, Its a Lopi Answer, or Patriot, Morso 1410 wood, or Osburn 1800 free standing stove.

Really, I thing a Harmon Mark I is the front runner, because it's made in PA, and they seem to have a good reputation, BUT.... If you don't get satisfaction from them, I consider their reputation damaged.

I hope your listening Harmon!!!!!

i was thinking if i have such a strong draft wouldn't i have a problem keeping a coal bed burning wide and long with the restrictor plate wide open??
Or is my thinking flawed yet once again?

Yeah, I've been trolling the Lime vs. Harman thread here and on NEPA. Scares me away from the Magnum. I like the 500... direct vent eliminates all these problems. If they'd make a way to attach it to a 6" HVAC duct I'd buy it in an instant. (Dane, HARMAN, are you listening??? To Lime? To me? To Anyone? Consider this free market research.)

-- Mike

PS - the Morso 1410 looks like a nice stove as well.

Mike Wilson said:
Yeah, I've been trolling the Lime vs. Harman thread here and on NEPA. Scares me away from the Magnum. I like the 500... direct vent eliminates all these problems. If they'd make a way to attach it to a 6" HVAC duct I'd buy it in an instant. (Dane, HARMAN, are you listening??? To Lime? To me? To Anyone? Consider this free market research.)

-- Mike

WHAT? Finally, someone else who's seen, looked at a 1410. It's a LOT smaller than the big Harmons...more in line with the Mark I, but I think it looks a bit more old fasioned... nicer. Becides...the local Morso dealer claims the only difference 1410 wood vs 1410 coal is the plates to direct the coal at the grates, and the addition of the lower air control. Otherwise, same stove...thus.... remove director plates, close lower air control, and presto...small wood burner. Not EPA approved, but 20 bucks says it performs indentically to the 1410 wood version.

I'm thinking of one for my 400 sqft family room plus lower level office. One web site claims 12+ hour burn times with coal.

beats the 4-5 (2 in reality) burn times of a VC Aspen, Jotul 602, or 1410 wood.

What do ya think Mike?

What sucks is the chimney will cost as much as the stove!!!! Stove is 989 here.

I've been looking at that little stove for a while now. Its basically the same stove they sell in Euroland as the Morso Squirrel, which is a multifuel. The damned thing burns peat too, if you happen to live near a bog. I was interested in installing it in a small room in the house where I spend a lot of time, and using a power vent instead of a chimney. I already have the Jotul to feed 5 times a day, I didn't need another mouth. I had 2 things in my head, a Magnum Stoker in the basement plumbed into an air duct in the main atrium of the house, or perhaps this little guy in the room I mentioned. Anything large in here would heat me out of the room.

Mike Wilson said:
I've been looking at that little stove for a while now. Its basically the same stove they sell in Euroland as the Morso Squirrel, which is a multifuel. The damned thing burns peat too, if you happen to live near a bog. I was interested in installing it in a small room in the house where I spend a lot of time, and using a power vent instead of a chimney. I already have the Jotul to feed 5 times a day, I didn't need another mouth. I had 2 things in my head, a Magnum Stoker in the basement plumbed into an air duct in the main atrium of the house, or perhaps this little guy in the room I mentioned. Anything large in here would heat me out of the room.

Sounds similar Mike...Any info on the powervent?

The DVC-500 is basicially a Magnum with DV capability through Harman-built propietary pipe. Harman makes this pipe this way, because HVAC pipe wasn 't (isn't?) built to his standards when this stove was designed. The pipe is all 316 Stainess to prevent perforation which would be a bad thing as well all agree.

The DVC is THE most expensive Harman you can buy. I've always liked the stove, but you need more input from folks that have lived with them for 10 years concerning reliabilty and performance.

I know there is a resurging interest in Anthracite burners, but it is still a minuscule portion of the market, considering pellet and wood stoves (and high efficiecy gas). IOW, I wouldn't advise Harman to spend $100,000-$200,000 in R&D to develop a new Anthracite burner, at least at this time.

SMK

Mike Wilson said:

-- Mike

so why can you connect it to a 6" pipe? I know you said HVAC, but why not 6" stainless pipe? When I was looking at Pellet stoves early in my stove investigation phase, one dealer told me that a pellet stove could be vented into any chimney as long as there was a good seal between the pellet vent pipe and the chimney. This could be done since the power vent of the pellet stove would push the exhaust up and out. Would a Harmon direct vent do the same?

Warren,

No, not for the flue gasses, for the heat. The flue is separate. The Magnum Stoker has a heat shroud over the back and top of it, and on the top is a panel that pops off to accept a 6" round HVAC duct. So you can have the stove heating one floor, and the fan behind the shroud also blows air up and into the 6" duct, thus heating another floor (well... just not in Lime's case).

-- Mike

Might we be interested in starting a new thread as this discussion is pretty far off the original topic of Btu values of Anthracite coal?

SMK

stovemanken said:
Might we be interested in starting a new thread as this discussion is pretty far off the original topic of Btu values of Anthracite coal?

SMK

I did....2 hits so far.

Well the stove is finally working great.The dealer tech bench tested the feed assembly.he found the feed motor was failing so all is right with the world now...Well atleast my world anyway

lime4x4 said:
Well the stove is finally working great.The dealer tech bench tested the feed assembly.he found the feed motor was failing so all is right with the world now...Well atleast my world anyway

Finally! Glad to hear that sumbitch is heating lime. Also glad that dealer finally got off of his butt.

lime4x4 said:

So now when you want to give it the acid test, it's 60 degrees out. So, you roasting the old chestnuts in the house today?

Really glad to hear this was finally resolved. Too bad I couldn't convince you to take it off you hands for 50 bucks though! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.