Craiglist find, MS 390

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WeldrDave

Feeling the Heat
Nov 14, 2012
New Jersey
Well, I was first caller, picked this up for $150. Runs, compression good, the plastic switch for choke and run is broke.
A couple bucks, few parts, and she'll be good as new.

Anybody have one of these would like to comment, suggestions?

Attachments

• DSCN0947.JPG
    DSCN0947.JPG
    272.6 KB · Views: 244
  • DSCN0948.JPG
    DSCN0948.JPG
    281.4 KB · Views: 303
Reactions: NortheastAl
Just a comment - excellent deal!! Picked up a 391 earlier this year (no longer have it) and all in all it was a good saw. I'm sure you'll enjoy the 390 - especially at that price! Cheers!

I'd be considering a DP muffler mod right off the bat, Dave.....that'll free up some power right from the get-go.
Good deal.......would've been better at $100.00 though....>>;)

Reactions: JOHN BOY
Have one moddes the muffler with a new eBay one and put more holes in it. Really woke it up.

When I got there, he basicly wouldn't budge on the price eventhough we had a set price on the phone, He said he had many calls, I just happend to be his first, he did go $25 lower than he was asking.
just bustin' yer chops bud....you did just fine. That's a heck of a deal.

My 390 is the old style not the newer port models my outlet is right in front.

check ebay out for a replacement muffler....if I had more time I'd mod it for you. Just too many damm projects on the skillet right now...

Reactions: NortheastAl
A muffler mod is easy for the 390. I don't believe a dual port muffler is available for the MS 390. A muffler mod really wakes the 390 up. I have had my 390 since new in 2004 and it lives in a truck box and gets used more than a consumer grade saw should, so I was surprised when I hooked a compression tester to it recently and it read 170.

Reactions: WeldrDave
Are you keeping it or flipping it? At that price with it in such nice condition, I'd buy it a shiny new bar for $50 ( less actually) and flip it. Should make at least $100 ( would sell for 3-350 in that condition with a pretty bar) and then you'd have a nice chunk of change to hunting for a pro saw like the MS361. ;)

If your keeping it, rim sprocket conversion and a muffler mod for sure. Will somebody with a computer please post a link to my postings with pictures of how to mod the 390s muffler without waking the dead? PITA to do from my phone.

Yep eBay. Mastermecc turned me on to it. Just type in 390 muffler. Get one from us seller. There the china ones u just pay a dollar or 2 more and don't have to wait 2 weeks. The factory on. Has 2 slots. Hhe replacement has 4 slots and I put more holes in it a. Well on advice from mastermech. My original muffler was busted internally. U can just drill out yours and save $20. I needed a new one anyway and took it as a chance to mod it.

Are you keeping it or flipping it? At that price with it in such nice condition, I'd buy it a shiny new bar for $50 ( less actually) and flip it. Should make at least $100 ( would sell for 3-350 in that condition with a pretty bar) and then you'd have a nice chunk of change to hunting for a pro saw like the MS361. ;)

If your keeping it, rim sprocket conversion and a muffler mod for sure. Will somebody with a computer please post a link to my postings with pictures of how to mod the 390s muffler without waking the dead? PITA to do from my phone.
I'm on a phone to ha. I may get the laptop out later an. Link.

Man the phone makes me look like an illiterate 13 yr old in my posts. The random punctuation and misspellings. At least auto correct helps some!!!!

I'd just mod the muff that's on it now? Unless that muff is screwed up? Open up the stock muffler port, or add a second port.

Some call them "Gills" on AS. If you have an angle grinder. Put a small disc on it. Cut some 3/4" slots, then put a screwdriver in said slots and make a bend in the steel to deflect the air away from saw or wood.

Easy peasy. No need to spend money. When you can make what you have work. That's coming from a guy with to many saws and not enough time to run them all.

Reactions: WeldrDave and ScotO
I was looking at the photos and that saw is interesting. It doesn't have the decomp. valve like mine, flat top on the plastics, orange handle, and the round knob on the air cleaner cover. Early model?

Either way the saw is clean and you stole it.

Either way the saw is clean and you stole it.
Yea, I knew going into it it was older, he said he had it 3 or 4 years, bought it from a guy who upgraded to a bigger saw. It popped right off, the choke /run lever is broken so I'll have to buy one, "no biggie". I am going to do the muffler mod , Thanks for the info;)

Reactions: Foragefarmer
Mine was bought in 04 I think. And I have a decomp valve?? Maybe someone replaced plastic the 290 don't have one. But if u have a decomp will the non decomp valve plastic fit over it?

Maybe its a 290 with a 390 recoil on it? What does the handle say the CC is on it?

Well I know the 290 and 390 are similar saw and same P/C are they same CC?? They have to be unless one has a longer rod? I thick power is made up for in ports??

Status
Not open for further replies.