New England (MA, CT, ME, NH, VT, RI) Craiglist has tons of pellets for about $200+/-

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shhh

Craigslist may indeed may have tons of pellets, but the pricing on what I've been seeing is a bit high.

Homeowners getting out o the routine seems to be expecting at least $5 a bag, with the stipulation you remove it from the basement. Granted that if you look up Craigslist in a thesaurus it resolves to "haggle", but why bother?

Local to me is PelletsDirect....they're offering pallets at $219 at this time.

I'll keep scouring Craigslist though...there must be a deal out there somewhere.

Picked up 40 bags of Maine Woods Pellets for $3.00 a bag. They are the clinker kings in my burning experience thus far and the heat output is less than others I've burned but for that price, I scrape a little more and turn up the settings a bit and it's just fine.

I've been scouring too. So far I scored 2 ton lgs for $225 and 2 ton thermaglow for $250. All self hauled and restacked. The hunt goes on

I've been scouring too. So far I scored 2 ton lgs for $225 and 2 ton thermaglow for $250. All self hauled and restacked. The hunt goes on

And I'm impressed...wish I could find those deals in central MA.

Picked up 40 bags of Maine Woods Pellets for $3.00 a bag. They are the clinker kings in my burning experience thus far and the heat output is less than others I've burned but for that price, I scrape a little more and turn up the settings a bit and it's just fine.

I burned 10 or so bags of these in my Harman this past year...they wren't so bad. At the right price I'd buy a bunch.

Granted it's my first year burning. And I've probably gone through at least 10 different brands, some of which I found out were "bottom of the barrel" from reading through the threads on the forum. But the stove seemed to do well with any and all of the bags.

Maybe I'm not too picky?

Reactions: Peterfield
I burned 10 or so bags of these in my Harman this past year...they wren't so bad. At the right price I'd buy a bunch.

Granted it's my first year burning. And I've probably gone through at least 10 different brands, some of which I found out were "bottom of the barrel" from reading through the threads on the forum. But the stove seemed to do well with any and all of the bags.

Maybe I'm not too picky?
I have had good luck with burning Maine Woods Pellets in my Harmon. For a certain price, I will burn even the lowest
quality pellet. Walmart Pennington?

Craigslist may indeed may have tons of pellets, but the pricing on what I've been seeing is a bit high.

Homeowners getting out o the routine seems to be expecting at least $5 a bag, with the stipulation you remove it from the basement. Granted that if you look up Craigslist in a thesaurus it resolves to "haggle", but why bother?

Local to me is PelletsDirect....they're offering pallets at $219 at this time.

I'll keep scouring Craigslist though...there must be a deal out there somewhere.
Some of the people offering pellets for sale on Craigslist, are not aware that the market price of pellets has dropped
and are not aware that even the Big Box Stores have dropped prices. Just wait, the Craigslist people will eventually
reduce prices. Some Craigslist people are selling because they did not burn all the pellets that they purchased
last Fall; some are quitting wood pellets.

Thanks for sharing about the nice price at PelletsDirect.

Reactions: Peterfield
Some of the people offering pellets for sale on Craigslist,
are not aware that the market price of pellets has dropped
and are not aware that even the Big Box Stores have dropped prices

You have to keep in mind, that not every person is a short drive to a BBS.
Some of these $250 deals, could be 2 miles from a pellet burner's home......
Making it a good deal for them.
Lowe's isn't like Cumberland farms, or Dunkin Donuts...
One on every corner..
;)

Dan

You have to keep in mind, that not every person is a short drive to a BBS.
Some of these $250 deals, could be 2 miles from a pellet burner's home......
Making it a good deal for them.
Lowe's isn't like Cumberland farms, or Dunkin Donuts...
One on every corner..
;)

Dan

Excellent point, there are many factors in what constitutes a good deal. I was lucky this past season, never spending more than $5 per bag. Also picked up a good load the day after Christmas when PelletsDirect did a $4 Cash and Carry sale of Orford softwoods. Being in Central MA makes the pickings pretty easy, lots of vendors, lots of stove retail stores.

I do plan on having a couple of tons in the basement by June...trying to get in while the prices are good. Gas and oil prices are going up, the election on it's way (talk about uncertainty), and I'm sure we'll be getting the forecasting of "this winter won't be like last winter". Along with some of the northeast pellet plants closing up we could very well see this year what went on a couple / few winters ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.