Craigs List - Firewood with no bugs, burns hot -- Wood Brick Fuel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been a number of threads on this type of fuel (which also includes brands such as BioBricks, EnviBlocks and Liberty Bricks). I have tried the Wood Bricks and the BioBricks and preferred the BioBricks. I found the Wood Bricks did not burn as well and fell apart more quickly. Others on this forum have had better luck with them. Here's one thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/40102/

Like pellets, they should be stored inside (a garage or shed is ok). If they get wet they turn to mush. They're great for supplementing less-than-ideally seasoned cordwood and some people burn them exclusively. They have some of the benefits of pellets (no bugs, no splitting, less mess) without having to dump a 40 pound bag in your stove. They tend to be more expensive than cordwood and don't seem to show up on sale at HD or Lowe's. I use them regularly as a supplement to wood, both to get a fire going and for those times when you really don't want to go outside to get another load of wood. Because they are so dry, you do have to keep an eye on them to make sure they won't overfire the stove when they first get going, although it's less of an issue when you're mixing them with regular wood. After they get going, they burn nicely with the draft shut down and there seems to be no danger of overfiring.

Interesting, there seems to be way more distributors that may be within a 100 miles of me vs having to drive 3 hours for Envi blocks. I may need to buy a pallet of something to make it through my first year since my wood will be less than seasoned the first time.

One of our members -- or at least a rep from the company asociated with one of our members -- O'Haras was at a recent open house for our local True Value Hardware . . . unfortunately I didn't win the free drawing for a ton of Envi Blocks . . . but the rep did give me a three-pack to try out to see how they burn. I'm eager to give them a try, but I'm waiting for a nice, really cool day to really evaluate them vs. these shoulder season fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.