craigs list good price or not and may need reipair.Quadrafire 1200 Pellet Stove - $1500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 20, 2011
North east PA
I currently own and use every day a Quadrafire 1200 Pellet Stove . I want to put one in the basement (Unfinished stone) and am familiar with the workings of this stove. Here is the Craig's list add. What do you think on the price and possible repairs to this stove.Or should I scratch this one off of my go to look at list.I have posted a picture if I did it right.
Thanks for your in put.

This was in our home when we bought it 3ish years ago and we've been using it the first 2 seasons, and this season until about a month ago. We stopped using it when some clinker (Hardened crust that forms over time from the remnants of burned pellets) clogged the firepot, and I guess since it was a warmer day the thermostat must have turned the unit on/off a few times and when it restarted the auger dumped excess pellets that overflowed out of the pot and in the surrounding areas, which has happened before, but this time a fire got started and burned outside the pot which caused it to get really, really hot which burned off some of the exterior paint (See redish spots in pics). Its also possible that a sensor is bad that causes the auger to keep turning when it should stop but im not completely sure. This kind of scared us so we stopped using it about a month ago until I had time to make sure all the sensors were working ok. We werent going to get rid of it because we thought it was saving us money in heating, but from what we've seen in the past month in our application its not really saving us anything because to get the cost benefits of our main living space we need to heat a 20'x30'x8', poorly insulated, room to a pretty high temp that otherwise we would barely need to heat. We have no space for it on the main level, so now we're just getting rid of it.

So to sum it up heres the good:
- In general it works great, I put a bag of pellets in 1-2 times a day, cleaned it weekly or so, and it did a great job at keeping out entire downstairs at a steady temp per the thermostat. When we'd go away and the stove ran out of pellets and the downstairs would be 50 degrees, it took maybe 20 mins to bring it back to 70+.
- I replaced the ignitor coil towards the end of last season.

Heres the bad:
- Needs some repainting where the paint was scorched, and on the tray in front of the door where some peeled off.
- Maybe needs a new sensor of some kind? If this is the case they look pretty cheap, but without turning it on its kind of tough to troubleshoot if there even is a problem.
- Since we've been using it theres a clicking sound that occurs periodically when it first starts, but this may be normal since it has always worked fine.
- It might be a good idea to replace the rope seal around the door, it looks ok, but I was going to replace it since id rather be safe than sorry with carbon monoxide.

It comes with:
- The complete stove, nothing missing
- 60 40lb bags of lignetics pellets (1.2 Tons, cost 220/ton)
- An extra ceramic thermocouple cover
- The manuals, warranty info and so forth.
- High temp green paint for the exhaust pipe.

Depending on location I can deliver, but would prefer someone with a pickup to get the 60 bags of pellets.

Sorry for the long writeup, but I want to be clear on what im selling to avoid wasted time for myself as well as potential buyers.

Attachments

• 3me3o03ld5V25O25X5b3805f5d6ed14f51caa.jpg
    3me3o03ld5V25O25X5b3805f5d6ed14f51caa.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 406
You can buy a brand new pellet stove from an actual hearth shop for not too much more than that, and get a few hundred dollars back as a tax credit. To me thats maybe an $800 value.

NE Puller:

I agree with Franks and Williamson here -- $1500 does sound high for a used stove that you have no idea what is wrong with it. I base this on a few facts:

1) Parts for the pellet stoves in general are expensive for their minimal complexity: ... ignitors, fans, blowers: $100+; Control boards: $300+ and
2) I paid $1800 new + shipping for my WhitField Profile 30 insert back in 2004.

Now, that said, a year after I bought my insert, the pricess were ~2400$. And next year, if oil stays high, there will be a shortage of pellet stoves and pellets again ...

My 2 cents ...

Take care

RonB

You never know, you only need one buyer.

I assume you have built in negotiation room.

I would make sure it worked first, do the cosmetics and see. You can always drop the price.

I have just bought a Heatliator, similar guts, new with warranty at $1550 including a ton and delivery.

David

Thanks guys for the info. In my mind I was thinking $ 800 also for it.I think I will let it sit a week. Then call him and tell him if he was interested at 800 I would invest the time and Diesel for the 1 hour trip to look at it and if not I will keep looking. Thanks a gain.

Lots to check out on a overheated stove, like are the exchanger tubes warped.
Also the warranty is null and void with a overheated stove, it's in the owners manual.

See if you can get a good deal on the pellets. If you can get them for a good price, that allows you the opportunity to check it out. You said you already own one. So you know it inside and out really good. Give it a thorough check inside and out. Test fire it while your there, and tell him you brought $XXX amount of dollars (i.e.-$700).
Worth a shot. I would jump on it, if cheap enough. The clicking sound the guy hears, could just be the stove heating up. Mine while click and tink when getting up to temp after cleaning. Metal contracts and expands with the addition or subtraction of heat. Could be the "Deal of the Day"..... Or it may be Scrap Metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.