craigs list scrounger rant?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireNewbie

Feb 16, 2010
Michigan
hhhh firewood 200 (seriously)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-10-31, 9:38PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

check this guy out hhhhhhhh
trying to sell a cord of wood for 200 dollars!!!
its wood , firewood , people that try a little get it free!!!!
no dumb ass will pay 200 for wood he might ass well burn gasoline might be cheaper

As a fellow scrounger myself, I often wonder if people would really pay $200 a cord for wood that was more than likely cut/slit this fall.

that is cheap some guys around here are getting $500 or more fore a cord of birch! birch is our oak, it is mostly north of here a couple of hours so guys charge a premium for it. no offence but living where everything is hardwood defenitley makes things cheaper and easier. guys around here are getting $200 for a cord of poplar. i scrounge all my wood so i find most prices rediculous but just goes to show you what it is like in other places. and again no offence intended :cheese:

It goes from $160 (green) up to $250 and higher for seasoned here, of course seasoned to most means it was cut and split a few months ago.

Everything is relative. Whats expensive in your area is cheap elsewhere.... Im thrilled when I find somebody selling for under $200 thats delivering a true full cord.

Around here the going rate for seasoned is 250-350, up to 400+ in the city - and that usually gets you a large pickup truck load.
Green wood sells for 150 (summer) to 250. The few outfits that will sell you logs do grapple loads for 50-100 per cord.

With #2 oil close to $3 a gallon its definately worth it. Natural gas is a bit more of a stretch but still worth the effort if you are buying green and seasoning yourself.

FireNewbie said:
I often wonder if people would really pay $200 a cord for wood that was more than likely cut/slit this fall.

Only one way to find out. Get ahead and sell a cord for $200. After the deal is done, decide if the $200 was worth the time and work you put into the wood. There are guys here that were selling for $35 face cord pick up this summer. Now people are posting ads wanting to buy for $35 as the price has gone up to $50/fc and up. There is no way I would give up a cord for $105. Maybe $150. Definitely $200.

I think $200 is a little high compared to local prices here, but just a little. If it is really a cord, even if it isn't seasoned, that is not unreasonable, and I live where hardwoods are very plentiful and cheap. i don't think cut/cplit wood gets much cheaper. logs are cheaper, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.