Craig's list wood splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsopi

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2006
MD near DE&PA;
Just bought this splitter. . Payed 300$ a well done home made splitter.When it says 2 ton He means that you can 2000psi on a pressure gauge. Wonder what tonage it would be. I'll be splitting some wood tomorrow.

Here's the listing

Horizontal log splitter. 2 ton's of force, able to transport with trailer hitch.
1-7/8 hydraulic ram, will split 24inch + length log. 8hp briggs&straton;motor.

Good deal. Post a report.

No kidding great deal, I never find deals like that! Lets see some pictures. It is always neat to look at someones else's creation. Good luck with it.

There is a hydraulics calculator online that I have been using for an upcoming project, you can enter your parameters for your machine to find your tonnage.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulic.htm

I bet the "1-7/8 hydraulic ram" is really a hydraulic CLYINDER of some unknown diameter at this point, and the piston rod is 1-7/8" diameter. A hydraulic ram can only extend if the oil pressure and needs springs or gravity to push the ram back in.

Splitt @ 1/2 a cord today ran great. The presurre gauge is not reading
I'll have look at it latter this week all so will post a photo.

The piston size is what matters, not the rod diameter. As a very rough guide, the standard "20-ton" splitters will use a 4" piston, and the "30-ton" units will use a 5" piston. Hard to say what size piston a home brew unit is using w/o taking the cylinder apart, which isn't very practical, but as a rough guess, figure about 1/2 to 1" less than the outside diameter of the cylinder, rounded to the nearest 1/2"...

Also worth noting is that most splitters are rated at 3,000psi, you won't get as much tonnage at 2,000psi pressure. The guage reading is also meaningless for figuring the tonnage, as it is only 1/2 the formula - the guage will read the same regardless of cylinder size, but a large cylinder will put a lot more tonnage on the wedge at a given pressure than a small one - remember the formula is Piston AREA (in square inches) X guage pressure.

Gooserider

I also just got a Craigslist splitter this weekend. Cost $375 but needs a new cylinder. Also has an 8hp. New pump, wedge and trailer. Towed it home (3 hour trip) behind my S10 at 65mph with no issues. Barely knew it was there. I will be re-engineering the setup to make it vertical/horizontal splitter.

We just had the good fortune of purchasing a used splitter last week. We still have to pick it up because we've had 2 good snows recently and it's been hard to get to it (at a friends house). It's a 33-ton vertical/horizontal 9 hp Cub Cadet. I can understand your excitement...we're anxiously anticipating using ours. We paid $600 for it and considered that a bargain, so kudos to you. It sounds like you got a really good deal.

Jamess67 said:
Towed it home (3 hour trip) behind my S10 at 65mph with no issues. Barely knew it was there.

You sure it still is ? LOL

Brian VT said:
Jamess67 said:
Towed it home (3 hour trip) behind my S10 at 65mph with no issues. Barely knew it was there.

You sure it still is ? LOL

Yep it didnt fall apart until I got it in the garage and let the wrenches take over. Now bring in the cutting torch.

Status
Not open for further replies.