Craigslist and firewood.(vent/rant)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cwill said:
So i screwed up my math two years ago when i started cutting for a stove this year. I didn't want to be the newbie that didn't have wood ready, so i started early and cut what i thought was enough. Now that i am in to burning it i have realized i don't have enough wood for this winter. So here I am looking for wood on craigslist, just where i didn't want to be. There are alot of people selling wood but almost all of them are not selling dry wood. Most say "seasoned" but then go on to say that its not split or they will split to what size you want. Not what i want. So short of calling/ going to anything that may look promising and checking moisture% myself, its not looking good. The few that do look good wont answer the phone! Why can't more people get with it and sell properly dry wood? It didn't take me long after coming here to figure out that the number 1 most important part of heating with wood is "IT"S GOT TO BE DRY"

So I'll just keep looking and calling. It's fun when you call someplace and they act like your a crazy person when you ask "how dry is your wood?" Guess ill be getting the hardwood pallets from work and mixing some of those in, but even those are ~23-25%. Beats wood split a month ago that ill pay to much for.

We need BS to do a public service announcement on TV about the importance of dry wood!!! LOL!!!

So little imagination! Get all the pallets you can NOW. Bust them up, except the ones you'll keep for long-term use. Stack (or pile) pieces in the vicinity of the stove for a week or so, and then check the MC. Betcha it's in the low teens. Helps moisturize the house, too.

Just don't let the piles exceed 180 F, which is pretty hard to have happen.

Why are you bit**ing about your failure to plan sufficiently ahead? Learn from fuzz-ups and proceed. Dry wood is YOUR problem. And mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.