Craigslist Experiment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elderthewelder

Minister of Fire
So, I have been noticing latley ( this year) how hard it is to get any free firewood off craigslist, last 2 years were pretty easy, anymore it is next to impossible. So I did a little test

I posted this add for free firewood , it went live at 6:58PM, here is a cut and paste of the add

Free Maple Firewood (North End)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to:
Date: 2008-09-27, 6:53PM PDT

We had a 80 foot maple removed today, tree service left all the rounds on property / all cut into 16" sections. easy access, back your truck right up to them. must take all!!! email me for address

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

I promptly deleted the add after 1 hour, here is a cut and paste of my email log, all wanting to pick all the wood up in the morning. No wonder I am having such a hard time finding free wood, 17 emails in 1 hour

Firewood Today 7:54 pm 4KB
maple Today 7:51 pm 5KB
Free Maple Firewood (North End) Today 7:42 pm 4KB
Free Maple Firewood (North End) Today 7:37 pm 5KB
Free Maple Firewood (North End) Today 7:36 pm 5KB
Firewood Today 7:27 pm 4KB
Free Maple Firewood (North End) Today 7:21 pm 5KB
Free Maple Firewood (North End) Today 7:20 pm 5KB
Free Maple Firewood (North End) Today 7:18 pm 5KB
maple firewood Today 7:13 pm 5KB
Firewood Today 7:11 pm 3KB
Free Maple Firewood (North End) Today 7:05 pm 3KB
Free Maple Firewood (North End) Today 7:02 pm 4KB
Free Maple Firewood (North End) Today 7:01 pm 4KB
Free Maple Firewood (North End) Today 7:01 pm 5KB
Free Maple Firewood (North End) Today 7:00 pm 5KB
Free Maple Firewood (North End) Today 7:00 pm 4KB

i been cleaning up 7 acers for a couple of weeks it was cut into 4 ft. length and they load me too... i found this off of craigslist got lucky i guess..

wood pile said:
i been cleaning up 7 acers for a couple of weeks it was cut into 4 ft. length and they load me too... i found this off of craigslist got lucky i guess..

Dang wood pile - good find. Have extra to share??? :)

Was it in the Poconos? If so I must have missed that CL ad.

Would be interesting to repeat the experiment and substitute different wood types...elm, pine, cottonwood, etc...see if the response differes and if people getting free wood are snobish about what free wood they get.

It really is like that - but all depends on where you are. Around here, the competition on Cl is stiff for sure. So bad that I do not even bother with it. Much better off scrounging and word of mouth.

It's definitely getting harder here in DC, although I think supply still outweighs demand. I have the advantage that I sit at a computer all day, so I can catch new items on craigslist and freecycle quickly. It's also a lot easier to get wood in June and July when it's 90's out than it is in November when it's starting to get cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.