Craigslist Firewood issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mattinpa said:
Update? I'm pulling for ya!

They guy left a message Monday night saying that he could stop by tonight or tomorrow night to drop off another cord of wood. I left him a message yesterday and haven't got a response back yet. I called the DNR and they said that they haven't contacted him yet so I guess he called me on his own. I'm still skeptical but we'll see. He may just be real busy I guess. I don't have much confidence in people anymore :(.

You paid him, he cheated. Busy does not matter, he should be busy making up a lost cord. If you bought a 2000 square ft home and moved into 1000 would you be patient? If you bought a tank of gas and drove away from the pump to a half tank would you be patient? I would give 24 hours to resolve or drop my check off and pay me my time to stack it. If he does not want to bother then turn him in. I have no patients for a cheat. Honest mistake ok, cheat, call him in...

Well, what happened?

burntime said:
Well, what happened?

Nothing yet. I called him again today and explained my displeasure to his voicemail. I said that he will be contacted by the weights and measurements department of the DNR.

The DNR has been calling me to see if they should continue with their investigation. I have told them to hold off because I thought it would have been resolved this week. Now that it hasn't happened, I will tell them to continue with their investigation into the matter. I will be sure to post when I get more info.

Update.....DNR spoke to the guy today. He said that he didnt want to deliver the wood if it has been raining becasue of my yard. Funny thing; when I call the guy, i get the answering machine every time. When the DNR calls (new number) he gets through and talks with the guy.

Tell him to bring your money back and pick up the wood, you have someone else delivering to you :cheese:

Well it's finally over.

The guy delivered the rest of my wood without a call to me to schedule. To be a jerk, he dumped the wood at the end of my driveway so my wife has to drive on the grass to get out. Now I have to load up my pickup and drive the wood to the back yard, oh well, i got my wood. I bet it's not the best quality wood since the first load wasn't that great.

I have learned a whole lot from this experience and will do business differently from now on.

Thanks for everyones support!

Take a pic and call the dnr guy, not that it will help you but the clown will be in his memory and he will catch heck from now on...

burntime said:
Take a pic and call the dnr guy, not that it will help you but the clown will be in his memory and he will catch heck from now on...

I already called the DNR guy. He was just glad that I got the wood. He really didn't care to much about the placement.

Squiner said:
burntime said:

I already called the DNR guy. He was just glad that I got the wood. He really didn't care to much about the placement.

The thing to do now is tell as many people that you know who "do wood" about this guy. Hurt him where it counts - in his wallet!

Yes, word of mouth. Its sad that someone needs to be a shyster and give all the hard working guys a bad name. But, that is true in any profession...

You can also complain to craigslist and they may pull his ad. You are probably not the first person this guy has done business with.

Heck, post your experience. That should wake all sorts of people up. It will also tell people who have been shorted where to go in the future.

Matt

I turns out the wood the guy delivered this time is very good quality locust and it completed the two cords. It did take some prodding to get all my wood but he did do it. I won't post on craigslist about him.

You can still post your experience on craigslist and who to contact in order to correct it without giving the firewood dealer's name. It may help somebody in a similar situation.

Matt

This sounds extremely similar to something that happened to me this year. I called weights and measures after 3 months of calling the firewood guy and getting his voicemail, and they said it was too late to do anything.

So now I call the guy occasionally from different phone numbers and am able to get through to him once in a while, and bug him just to (hopefully) stress him out.

Another thing I did was wrote a review of him on rateitall.com, and keep it up to date with all the different names they come up with for their business, so now if anyone googles his company name or phone number the number one review is the whole story of what happened to me with several people relating similar experiences.

So that's been the best I could do to make myself feel better for being swindled the way I was, and now I'll be that much more of a pain in the ass as a customer.

(In case you're curious: http://www.rateitall.com/i-2476304-heat-miser-firewood-service-ashfordmansfield-ct.aspx )

Status
Not open for further replies.