craigslist gems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl1nh

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Newfields NH
I don't mean to say this is the worst Craiglist posting I've found, but how many times do you come across this type of item which leaves you thinking...???? "Wood stove. (Merrimack) $150
I have an old wood stove. It's very heavy. It has not been used in years." Oh boy, that really gets me interested!!

This one has some charm too

we are looking for a woodstove boiler so that we may heat our home this winter. We have one right now, but it is too big and so hard to keep the house comfortable (120+ at times!) We are not picky about the size if it is an outdoor woodstove boiler however if it is an indoors woodstove we neeed a very small one. Hopefully someone can help!

Yeah I hate it when my rooms get over 120, too.

Burn-1 said:
This one has some charm too

we are looking for a woodstove boiler so that we may heat our home this winter. We have one right now, but it is too big and so hard to keep the house comfortable (120+ at times!) We are not picky about the size if it is an outdoor woodstove boiler however if it is an indoors woodstove we neeed a very small one. Hopefully someone can help!

Yeah I hate it when my rooms get over 120, too.
When the realtor showed them the home one of the features she really empasized was the sauna... :lol:

cmonSTART said:
Ha, I think I read that ad, jpl1nh. Seem to be a lot of those actually..
There are kind of two catagories, the okay stove with poor sales presentation, "bought three years ago, burns good" and the crap stove that should be scrap metal that someone seems to think someone else might really want.."Smoke belching creosote factory with superb fire hazard capability, been sitting in neighbor's yard since our last move 17 years ago, less than 2/3 warped, 2 weeks of sandblasting and a gallon of high temp paint and it'll look purty again, 1 1/2 uncracked firebricks no extra charge...$600 firm. If m boy's home, could possibly help partially load"

jpl1nh said:
cmonSTART said:
Ha, I think I read that ad, jpl1nh. Seem to be a lot of those actually..
There are kind of two catagories, the okay stove with poor sales presentation, "bought three years ago, burns good" and the crap stove that should be scrap metal that someone seems to think someone else might really want.."Smoke belching creosote factory with superb fire hazard capability, been sitting in neighbor's yard since our last move 17 years ago, less than 2/3 warped, 2 weeks of sandblasting and a gallon of high temp paint and it'll look purty again, 1 1/2 uncracked firebricks no extra charge...$600 firm. If m boy's home, could possibly help partially load"

Craigslist is awesome. You can go from "wow, what a deal" to "WTF are they thinking!?!" from one ad to the next.

Ya, good entertainment.

Actually, one person around here has an old wood stove for sale out by the curb. Well, it's OLD, and I've watched it sit outside since last fall, snow rain and all. Sign still says $250 though.. :roll:

Here's my favorite:

Seasoned Cordwood, U Pick Up, 28% moisture content, mixed hardwoods, $175 per cord. Neatly stacked so there's no question of accurate measure. Mostly 16" with some 20" and 13"($205 per cord). Note that uncovered wood, no matter how long it seasons, ends up at about 37% moisture content.

Saw that one on craigslist a couple weeks ago I think. Are those percentages correct? Seem high to me, but I've never metered my wood.

cmonSTART said:
Here's my favorite:

Seasoned Cordwood, U Pick Up, 28% moisture content, mixed hardwoods, $175 per cord. Neatly stacked so there's no question of accurate measure. Mostly 16" with some 20" and 13"($205 per cord). Note that uncovered wood, no matter how long it seasons, ends up at about 37% moisture content.

Saw that one on craigslist a couple weeks ago I think. Are those percentages correct? Seem high to me, but I've never metered my wood.

I wouldn't burn any of that wood. I might buy it, depending on what it looked like, but I wouldn't plan on burning it anytime soon. Rick

Well,well, lets just see how many buyers I get for my older PE (1985) insert this fall and winter? Tried to sell it this past april for $350 and generated 4 calls, but no buyers. Guess what? the price is going up this fall. Reason, is because if I tried and could afford to fill my oil tank at 1100 plus litres at 1.40 a litre it would cost me approx. $1500 per tank ful.

So, new door gasket, new baffle, new window gasket, etc. gold trim surround, gold trim on the door.. Maybe reason I didn`t sell first time around was because I told the prospects that a max burn time would be about 5 hours. And when the phone starts ringing in Oct. I will tell the new prospects the same thing. And I am gonna ask $450.

Any bets that it will be sold before Dec.1??

I sold an insert last fall for 325.00 to the 3rd person who emailed me. The first asked if I would donate part of it to a worthy cause, I said sure but bring along a tax exempt number...did not hear from them. 2nd guy wanted it take it off my hands and he said he would do me a favor and pay me 75 bucks??? I asked him to do me a favor and not call anymore and hung up on him. The 3rd guy emailed he wants to see it, 15 minutes later he is at the door and says your asking 350.00, I will give you 325.00 today and pick it up on friday when I get paid and give you another 25.00, I loaded it and said to take his girlfriend out for dinner. Honest people are the best in my book.

burntime said:
I sold an insert last fall for 325.00 to the 3rd person who emailed me. The first asked if I would donate part of it to a worthy cause, I said sure but bring along a tax exempt number...did not hear from them. 2nd guy wanted it take it off my hands and he said he would do me a favor and pay me 75 bucks??? I asked him to do me a favor and not call anymore and hung up on him. The 3rd guy emailed he wants to see it, 15 minutes later he is at the door and says your asking 350.00, I will give you 325.00 today and pick it up on friday when I get paid and give you another 25.00, I loaded it and said to take his girlfriend out for dinner. Honest people are the best in my book.
Well done Burn!!

cmonSTART said:
Here's my favorite:

I saw that one too. Thats why I do my own wood. Seems high to me too.

Just something to throw out to you guys..I just bought a moisture meter as well and I took a few splits that I had stacked for two good years and split them again and took a reading..I was getting 35, 37 percent readings on the moisture. Am I doing something wrong with my wood??? Or is this normal. I dont understand..Just to add the one piece I split and got this reading was poplar???

You mean you did not get the secret decoder ring when you signed up? :) Wait until the end of summer and try it again. My guess is you have rain in spring and it gets a little wet again.

There is 2 types of moisture I read...cellular, like when it is first cut and then the rain kind. So yes I think it can.

FIREFIGHTER29 said:
But would rain soak into the middle of a split of wood???

define rain.
The kind of rain they've just had in Iowa, absolutely. :)

I emailed him, told him if he splits it and stacks it neat and delivers to wisconsin C.O.D. I will take it. Stupidity deserves stupidity!!!

myzamboni said:
Here's the kind of listings I have to sort through...Gimme a break!

Hey, you can get most of a stove and some mostly fire wood...what's the problem? That would probably keep you mostly warm. :p Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.