Craigslist letter good for a chuckle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBurner

Aug 4, 2008
SE CT
found this on craigslist

An open thank you letter to the man who sold me a bad cord of firewood

Dear sir:

Last week I responded to your craiglist post that stated you would deliver a cord of seasoned, split oak firewood for $150. You responded timely and delivered exactly when you said you would.

As I stood there with my two small children and we talked about the fact that we had just bought this old house, that I was new to relying on wood stoves, and that our primary heat was our wood stove, you looked me in the eye and assured me that this wood would burn hot and even. I handed you $150 in cash and off you went.

Later that afternoon I tried to get the fire going. And then I tried again assuming it was my own inexperience. That evening when my husband came home from work he took one look at the wood and explained to me that it was green and not, in fact, seasoned. Our neighbors confirmed and, indeed, it was. My husband called you several times to no avail.

So....I was out $150 in cash that we can't spare, and our house is quite chilly, but still I want to thank you...and this is why:

1. It reminded me of how wonderful my husband is because instead of getting mad he put his arms around me and reminded me that next year we would have a nicely seasoned cord of wood and that really, in the scheme of things, it's only money (even if there isn't much of it.)

2. It allowed me to use the experience to explain to my kids the important of honesty and how our actions affect people in ways we may never know. It also allowed me to talk about the importance of forgiveness.

3. And finally, it reminded me of how I need to work on my ability to forgive. I also wondered, and hoped, that maybe you needed the money alot more than I do.

4. It has also helped me be a little more frugal this month...and that is never a bad thing.

So, I feel better now. You will likely never read this, but that is ok. I needed to do it to help me forgive you.

Sincerely,
Me

Poor "me", someone needs to tell her that she is going to have to wait 3 years not 1!

Reactions: DTrain
I would say they got burned, but green Oak ain't gonna burn nobody. ;lol

...and another redneck stays in business another day to rip off the next poor soul...

I understand your frustration but geesh - do you realize the value of oak truly at or under 20%mc. If someone actually sold true CSS'd oak I am guessing 300+ per cord would be a loosing proposition and I wouldn't sell mine for $500.

One persons definition of ready to burn can vary widely from another's and this may have been an honest answer. If you had ask if the splits were all under 20% then your answer could be better categorized as a lie. If he told you it was ready to burn(your question may have been wrong - not the response) Said deliverer may very well be heating his home with just this wood and therefore gave his best, and honest answer. The responsibility is on the buyer who accepts the delivery of wood - especially if you had the opportunity to see, touch and even check the mc prior to handing over the cash.

Maybe a lesson to your kids would be better if you explained mom did not do a very good job of researching her purchase and that she is blaming her mistake on someone else that is out there working hard to scratch out a living and put food on the table for their family. It is not rocket science to know if wood is under 20% and the responsibility is yours - not the hauler unless that exact requirement was discussed prior. It is also very well documented that purchasing true >20% wood is as rare as hens teeth and even more rare at the tail end of a long, cold winter.

From your post it seems you had every opportunity to accept or reject the delivery and YOU accepted it. Lesson is on you. Forgive yourself and go back and talk to your children about do diligence.

Last edited:
very well said bob

I can see what Bob is saying, but much like the author of the letter I felt thoroughly misled by the first guy I bought wood from. Sure, I accepted what he brought, which was wet and short, but only because I was, like the author of the letter, so inexperienced that I couldn't tell the difference. I had done quite a lot of research ahead of time, and asked a lot of questions. I was more diligent than I had been for any purchase since I'd bought my house, but it wasn't enough. My expectations may have been, like the author's, somewhat unrealistic, but my seller, like the author's, consciously took advantage of my ignorance. I have since come to have some sympathy for firewood sellers in general, because they're selling a product they don't have a lot of control over to customers generally too ignorant to discern good from bad or to be willing to pay for better. But that doesn't make what my seller did to me, or the author's to her, any less dishonest.

Everyone I have ever talked to about selling firewood says it is seasoned. Many of them either don't burn at all, or they burn it just like they sell it.

I have yet to find firewood for sale that was seasoned. Usually the tree has been down less than six months. Most of them either buck and split, or split it before they deliver. Either way, if it burns, you will just clog your chimney.

It's a shame, but you are right not to be angry over it. Can't change it now, so just cover it for another season.

Status
Not open for further replies.