Craigslist post--is this a good stove??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrendainNJ

Nov 6, 2010
NW NJ
Hi all--as some of you know, we are in the mkt for a new stove, BUT having a hard time choosing one to fit our budget AND not be so ugly (woman's perspective!). This one doesn't look too bad & the price seems great! Any idea what model & how easy this would be to fix? I'm thinking it won't last too long....

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/app/2059483472.html

Thank you everyone!

I am not the most experienced guy on here, but it sounds like a good deal. I would watch it run for an hour, starting it (manually) from cold and see what it does. After you shut it down, watch it to see what happens, does the fan continue to run while it cools down... This should give you an idea of it's running condition. I bought a used one for about the same amount of money with more or less the same problem. It needed a new ignighter which was only about $150 bucks and about 2 hours to put it in. You can call local dearler and you will likely find that the unit cost quite a bit if bought new...

Good luck

OK got some info from the owner--it's a Heritage Bay from approx. 1998 & he is not the original owner.

So I'm not quite as excited...one I think it's too big for our corner (our living room is already very crowded; my 4-yr-old will be losing a lot of play space for this stove!) and it's pretty old.

A good cleaning and some paint? Add the new igniter to the price and your still in for less that 5 bills. Lopi's have been getting good ratings from the members who own them. Seems like a good deal to me! Just make sure its fully operational before you load it up. You can manual fire these with a propane torch.

These things aren't like a car. 1998 is still pretty young for a stove. I have a 94' quad in the basement and she still can burn with todays stoves. As long as this wasn't abused in any way. I don't see much of an issue. You could turn it around and resell for more!

Strange thing is there is a stove on Illinois Craislist that appears to have identical pics. Never mind. It's not there anymore. I guess it must have been a coincidence seeing a pellet stove in the bed of a truck.

I owned the sister stove to that one a few years back. Was a great stove.

$350 is a great price for a good pellet stove.

Age means little, condition is everything.

As mentioned, a good cleaning, a wrattle can or two of fresh paint and your set.

The igniter issue is likely an easy fix.

The friendly folks at wood heat stoves (are here at the forum) can fix you up with all the needed manuals such as the service book and such me thinks.

As mentioned for under $500 you would be ready to have a warm winter.

Good luck

Snowy

I believe you can run the stove outside without hooking it up to see how it basically runs. I would ask the more technical blogger's on how to do this.

An unrelated issue. If the clock on the web site is using EST for postings it appears to be wrong.

BrnedainNJ said:
My husband is concerned about parts availablility.

Check the manufacturers website for parts. My pellet stove is used and it is our first. Our auto ignitor went out on it but I keep a bottle of starting gel and it lights right up and easy as can be. Trick is to make sure you put enough on so it will stay burning until the stove fires up. I had to install my pellet stove next to a 110 year old built in, in our house and I am glad it is a pellet because a wood stove would just be too hot on the sides for this kind of application, imo. I like that the heat is blown out the front.

I gave up messing with starter gels years ago and got myself a 25 dollar butane torch from HD. put a handful of pellets in the pot, hit it with the torch for 15 seconds turn on the auger and walk away, a lot less hassle IMO.

chris288 said:
I gave up messing with starter gels years ago and got myself a 25 dollar butane torch from HD. put a handful of pellets in the pot, hit it with the torch for 15 seconds turn on the auger and walk away, a lot less hassle IMO.
That works too. Either way I found the ignitor issue is no biggie :)

Looks like a good price so long as you heed the advice given here to verify it is operational at the sellers place.

Don't forget to figure pipe into your budget. And while it sounds like the seller has some, I have read varous members here having trouble with used pipe, so you really need to consider new pipe.

If you buy this stove take my advice and go with Excel pipe. It will be a headache free install and be the last pipe you buy for this stove.

Wood Pellet User said:
I believe you can run the stove outside without hooking it up to see how it basically runs. I would ask the more technical blogger's on how to do this.

If you look closely, you can see that the photo of the stove in operation was taken with the stove in the back of the truck. I thought that was kind of odd, but I don't know much about pellet stoves.

PopCrackleSnap said:
Wood Pellet User said:

If you look closely, you can see that the photo of the stove in operation was taken with the stove in the back of the truck. I thought that was kind of odd, but I don't know much about pellet stoves.

Yes, that likewise does raise some suspicion in my mind.

Wow, good eye! Honestly I never would have noticed about the truck, but yeah it does seem awfully bright in the backround for it to be inside.

BTW, it's a moot point anyway...I emailed & tried to get more info like how much use the stove has gotten, parts replaced and if I could see the stove burning--no reply.

The search continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.