Craigslist request - worth sharing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Got Wood

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2008
Dutchess Cty, NY
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/wan/1500389168.html

Here is the text:

Wanted free firewood plus drop off (Croton falls)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2009-12-08, 9:43AM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am looking for free for my grandparents, they use a wood burning stove as heat for the winter
And some poophead stole there wood (who steals wood?) but anyway only my grandmother has a job
And they're paying morgage and they can't afford to get wood for the winter, if anyone has any wood
Split or not I would be so greatful if u can drop it of, they live in croton falls ny, u can email me
For the address thank you,
And my email is ; [email protected]

IF i lived close and IF I saw the grandparents I would help out but it is a long drive from MI to be scammed. You have to wonder if it was someone in the family who took the wood though.

Gary

Judging by the amount of work people in this forum go to protect their wood, definitely not out of the realm of possibility that someone actually stole firewood. If you have it to share, God bless you.

Sorry, but I don't believe them.

I'm not sure what to think but thought it would provoke an interesting thread. Lots of potential here....

Stealing wood - this alone should get the blood flowing here
Charity, especially this time of year - if its verified as true, I think there are pleny of folks willing to help
True story or not - I certainly understand skeptism here....
Potential humor... please give me free wood, please only 3 year or more seasoned oak, when you deliver it please bring nice looking firewood racks and take the time to stack it neatly. Thank you....

you can tell if you've been living right because when crap like this happens everyone you know comes a runnin.

if this happened to my grandma you can bet there'd be three years worth of wood in her yard before the sun set, every old lady within 30 miles would have a casserole at her doorstep by lunch the next day, and the minister would be personally loading the wood into her stove with the local red hat ladies picking up some matches for her at wal-mart.

Probably would all happen before the police made it to her house to file a report, and definitely before I had enough time to post on CL.

If I lived closer, I'd give them some of my firewood. I give away firewood every year. I give away to friends and family more than I sell. If true, and close to me, I'd be glad to help.

Danno77 said:
you can tell if you've been living right because when crap like this happens everyone you know comes a runnin.

if this happened to my grandma you can bet there'd be three years worth of wood in her yard before the sun set, every old lady within 30 miles would have a casserole at her doorstep by lunch the next day, and the minister would be personally loading the wood into her stove with the local red hat ladies picking up some matches for her at wal-mart.

Probably would all happen before the police made it to her house to file a report, and definitely before I had enough time to post on CL.

I have to agree with you. The CL post tugs at the heart strings, but when I read your post, I agree. Something fishy going on here, I think.

Follow up ... interesting that the post on craigslist is now gone? hmmmm

Show me the police report then we'll talk

I've seen posts like that before.
unfortunately.
e-bay and craigslist are getting pretty sad.

e-mail grabber or you're dumping wood at a vacant house

Man, you guys are so negative. The craigslist post could be gone because they got a lot of response and already got all the donated wood they need for the winter. Great!
Worst case scenario is someone who wants to stay warm this winter is trying a sneaky way to get some free wood without having to buy it. Oh well, no harm done, it could be much worse, he could be outright stealing wood, rather than trying to trick people into giving it to him.
Consider this, even if this guy was willing to work and save money to outright buy wood from somebody for his grandparents, you still got people in this forum that openly state that they "look down" on people for doing that. You just can't win. :roll:

Liberator, have you walked the streets of NYC, being asked for handouts on every other block is not unusual. Everybody has a different sob story. A guy once asked me for money while I was entering a pizzeria. I told him I would buy him a slice of pizza. He actually was annoyed that I was going to buy him a slice. He did eventually take it after I almost reneged.

gzecc said:
Liberator, have you walked the streets of NYC, being asked for handouts on every other block is not unusual. Everybody has a different sob story. A guy once asked me for money while I was entering a pizzeria. I told him I would buy him a slice of pizza. He actually was annoyed that I was going to buy him a slice. He did eventually take it after I almost reneged.
Gzecc
Here is how I handle panhandlers (if I'm in the mood for giving), when they ask for money. I apologize and say I'm sorry but I have a sick kid at home and some big medical bills to pay. Then I tell them I could use some extra money for those bills and ask them if they could spare some change. If they take out some change and give it too me I tell them I was just testing them and give them some money. If they refuse to offer anything (or get annoyed at me at any point) I would simply walk away.
So far they have all offered me some change, even the ones I figure are gona buy booze with the money I give them, but I can't control that. My system only works for reading hearts.

There was a craigslist ad here that looked like a medical emergency.

Woodburner Wanted - $350 (Reston)
Date: 2009-11-28, 8:46AM EST

Fireplace insert preferred. Let me know what you have. I am freezing my nuts off.

Thank You,

* it’s NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Carbon_Liberator said:
Man, you guys are so negative. The craigslist post could be gone because they got a lot of response and already got all the donated wood they need for the winter. Great!
or it could be that some ash hoes flagged it after they drew a negative conclusion without getting all the facts.

BrotherBart said:
There was a craigslist ad here that looked like a medical emergency.

Woodburner Wanted - $350 (Reston)
Date: 2009-11-28, 8:46AM EST

Fireplace insert preferred. Let me know what you have. I am freezing my nuts off.

Thank You,

* it’s NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
:lol:

If he gives you his phone number and he answers with a high pitch voice, you'll know you were too late. :p

You guys suck.
As young lads, we set up cans and bottles
on the canal bank and the bored deckhands
of the coal barges would throw coal to try
and knock them down.
Everyday after school we'd hike out to the canal
and hope to find a few lumps.
Maybe you forget where you came from or maybe you didn't
come from nowhere.
Kenny Chaos, 1834

A good grandson would be out cutting some wood for his grandparents instead of asking for charity on CL. Sorry but procurring firewood to heat my home and to keep my family warm over the winter is one of my top priorities. I do cut and split a lot for parents and place in the mountains and would be very pee'd off if some lowlife would steal any of it. My time is limited which makes it very valuable, supply and demand.

Sad to say it might be a true story , on the other hand CL is a breeding ground for con artists and scammers. I once bought a trailer that lost an axle the next day and the guys pitch was got a newer trailer need to sell old one. Come to find out he had listed dozens of trailer and hundreds of other items and had quite a number of people pissed that he has misrepresented the items and sold shoddy items.
Came to find out the axles on the trailer were only held on with one axle clamp placed diagonally across the spring

Status
Not open for further replies.