Craigslist score- black or honey locust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No thorns? I would say black locust. I don't get any around me but I hear that it is a great burning wood.

Don't look like any black locust that I have ever handled (way off color) but it looks a lot like maple I have handled. Leaves tell so many stories. Either way it's a nice haul.

Leaves are definately locust, similar to the sunburst honeylocust I have in my yard. The examples I could find were just emerging, so not always representive of the mature leaf. Of course nothing left to take a pic of. Pretty big example for around here, must have been 30-36" at the base. Moisture content seems pretty high, cheapy ebay meter says 38%- another factor pointing to honeylocust - I think..

Cave2k said:
Don't look like any black locust that I have ever handled (way off color) but it looks a lot like maple I have handled. Leaves tell so many stories. Either way it's a nice haul.

I cut a ton of locust each year, and that doesnt even look close to the locust I cut. It does look very similar to the maple I cut last weekend.

yeah, was thinking maple as soon as I saw it. Whatever it is, looks like a fantastic haul and worth the effort.

Silver Maple!

Folks, it's not silver or any type of maple, we've got plenty of that around here and I know what a maple leaf looks like.
It's most likely a locust cultivar, some type of thornless honeylocust. any case, tickled pink to have it in hand.

3fordasho said:
Folks, it's not silver or any type of maple, we've got plenty of that around here and I know what a maple leaf looks like.
It's most likely a locust cultivar, some type of thornless honeylocust. any case, tickled pink to have it in hand.
then it looks just like the 50+ cords of silver maple I have done. If you says so never have I seen locust of anykind that looks like silver maple enjoy what ever it is

smokinj said:
3fordasho said:

then it looks just like the 50+ cords of silver maple I have done. If you says so never have I seen locust of anykind that looks like silver maple enjoy what ever it is

I wish it split like silver maple ;-) A little stringy, nothing like american elm though.

If I hadn't seen the leaves I'd of guessed silver maple too.

3fordasho said:
smokinj said:
3fordasho said:

I wish it split like silver maple ;-) A little stringy, nothing like american elm though.

If I hadn't seen the leaves I'd of guessed silver maple too.
silver maple will spilt stringy we use a hatchet's to free it up quick

Another vote for Honeylocust; father-in-law has 2 in his yard and I've cut from them already.

learn something on hearth.com every day! Since we're on the subject, how does this honey locust burn? Is it like the black locust that I cut all the time? If so, you have a awesome pile there!!

RAY_PA said:
learn something on hearth.com every day! Since we're on the subject, how does this honey locust burn? Is it like the black locust that I cut all the time? If so, you have a awesome pile there!!

Firewood charts rate it slightly less btu/cord than black locust, but still up there and better btu/cord than red oak.
Other than that I can't say as I've never burned any.

I am weighing in on a honey locust species. I used to have both thorn and thorn-less in my pasture bottom years ago, but cut down and burnt every thorny locust and now do not have flat tires and no animals with sore hooves.
Jackpine

jackpine said:
I am weighing in on a honey locust species. I used to have both thorn and thorn-less in my pasture bottom years ago, but cut down and burnt every thorny locust and now do not have flat tires and no animals with sore hooves.
Jackpine

Thorns that cause flat tires and hoof problems ... sounds like some nasty wood. Must have been a bi**h to buck and split w/ thorns like that.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Found a sprig of leaves on the side of a round.
DSC02831.jpg

Definitely Honey Locust after seeing the leaf. I have lots of Black Locust and the bark is very different, very thick with deep interwoven grooves. Any type of Locust burns hot and long, great score.

This is one of the thornless honey locust cultivars. There are a couple different ones out there. I assume this tree was growing in town somewhere. Thornless Honey Locust is not a wild tree, it has to be planted. I hear Honey locust is a good firewood - almost as dense as Balck Locust, and better than almost all other trees.

yep locust never seen it with out some dark color's in the splitts.

TreePapa said:
jackpine said:
Jackpine

Thorns that cause flat tires and hoof problems ... sounds like some nasty wood. Must have been a bi**h to buck and split w/ thorns like that.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Extreme care must be taken when working up the honey locust...for example in some cases I used a telescoping tree branch pruner first just to get close to the trunk of the tree to notch and fell the tree. I use my fencing (field fence) gloves to handle the branches after limbing, wear sturdy, hard soled boots and wear my son's western leather chaps (especially while handling the large blocks in the splitting process).

In addition, I park the truck or 4-wheeler a short distance from the felled tree and splitting area. Then I pickup arm loads of splits and walk a short distance to the truck or trailer to load.

Is it worth it? You bet.
Jackpine

Status
Not open for further replies.