Craigslist score! Evil West Coast Pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elderthewelder

Minister of Fire
Got a reply to a C/L listing I responed to for free firewood, guy told me I was first in line to get it but I had to move fast as there were many behind me on the waiting list. Turns out it ws a 125'+ Pine about 42" at the base, could pull my truck right next to it.

Had to quarter the first 3 rounds from the base of tree to get in truck, everything else rolled right up on my lift gate and into truck. Took 4 loads to my house and 3 loads to my friend's house who helped me get it.

I know its not the best wood but I will start splitting it and it will burn just fine for the 2010/11 season

Attachments

• P1010007 (2).JPG
    P1010007 (2).JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 675
  • P1010008 (2).JPG
    P1010008 (2).JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 683
  • P1010010 (2).JPG
    P1010010 (2).JPG
    39 KB · Views: 659
  • P1010011 (2).JPG
    P1010011 (2).JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 648
  • P1010009 (2).JPG
    P1010009 (2).JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 659
  • P1010012.JPG
    P1010012.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 662
  • P1010013.JPG
    P1010013.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 654
Looks like a great score! Those are some big rounds!

Elderthewelder said:
I know its not the best wood but I will start splitting it and it will burn just fine for the 2010/11 season

Au contraire, it's the very best wood. It's free wood. Well done!

Some big wood. What kind of pine is it?

The log lift on the back of your truck is great. Nice score.

Great truck for log lifting!

Awesome score and awesome truck for hauling! Lift gate + the drop on the side are ideal. I personally enjoy burning pine, though with the abundance of hardwoods here in TN I don't use pine to bank any overnight fires. But when you're home to feed the stove, it lights fast and gives off plenty of heat.

Also, I feel obligated to remind all burners: pine causes chimney fires, hairy palms, blurred vision, hair loss, lung cancer, and impairs the ability to operate a car and/or heavy machinery. Stock number ST710. Dealer retains all rebates and hold backs. Not all buyers will qualify for 0% APR.

Pagey said:
Also, I feel obligated to remind all burners: pine causes chimney fires, hairy palms, blurred vision, hair loss, lung cancer, and impairs the ability to operate a car and/or heavy machinery. Stock number ST710. Dealer retains all rebates and hold backs. Not all buyers will qualify for 0% APR.

So keep leaving it for me I mean disposing of it at the mulch pile, especially the big rounds that split so nice.

Dear god that is a lot of pine....I hope you're not splitting by hand! ha.

It kinda looks like doug fir to me. If so, it's a fantastic score.

ya-know I was kinda thinking it may be fir as well, as there were about 6 fir trees in the imediate area around this tree. My friend and I were both tyring to figure out what this tree was, the homeowner said pine, but he is not from this country and I do not think he knew much about the subject.

The funny thing about this tree is it had really thick bark on about the first 5 feet of the trunk that looked alot like the Pondarosa pine that you find in Eastern WA/OR. Then the higher you went up the tree it started to look more like a fir tree. all the branch's liombs and needles were already all hauled off so I could not see those.

Also the first 2 or 3 rounds from base of tree that we quartered were full of a dark colored pitch substance that i have not seen before, but no pitch as you go up the trunk higher, I got my Fiskars in the mail yesterday so I took it out and split a couple rounds and that seemed like fir to me as well, but I am not 1005 sure what it is to be honest. I do know it will be in my stove in the 10/11 season though

At my dad's farm, the hydro utility had an old tie line they took down that was built with huge Fir poles. They were the twin poles with the cross ties and they skidded them all to one spot were I bucked them up for firewood. That was some beautiful Fir and it was a shame to buck up as firewood but it kept us warm.

Elderthewelder said:
Also the first 2 or 3 rounds from base of tree that we quartered were full of a dark colored pitch substance that i have not seen before, but no pitch as you go up the trunk higher, I got my Fiskars in the mail yesterday so I took it out and split a couple rounds and that seemed like fir to me as well, but I am not 1005 sure what it is to be honest. I do know it will be in my stove in the 10/11 season though

The pitch in the base of the tree is consistent wiht some of the pine 'round here. Makes great kindling. Burns hotter than h*** ... even before seasoning.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Our native western washington pines are smooth skinned all the way down. That there is a fir tree unless it is some sort of crazy ornamental import pine.

Did the upper parts have the typical pitch bubbles? I bet that guy calling it pine was the only reason that you got it. People seem to be afraid of pine. Cedar too.

Yeah, I have concluded it is definitly Doug Fir. I have been paying attention latley to the real big Firs latley and alot of them (not all) have that same real thick bark on the lower section as this one did. That was what was throwing me, as to me it reminded me of Eastern Wa pine as that bark looks real close to that.

Anyway , I have been splitting a little here and there, and I am positive it is Fir :) Made the score that much better

My back went into spasms, and my hands developed blisters just looking at the size of those rounds. All of a sudden my ax disappeared too.
Great wood score, sorry about the splitting.

mike1234 said:
My back went into spasms, and my hands developed blisters just looking at the size of those rounds. All of a sudden my ax disappeared too.
Great wood score, sorry about the splitting.

Those wern't even the big ones, the first few rounds we had to quarter because they would not fit on the truck. Splitting wont be too bad, I'll half those and put them on my DR and they will split just fine, others will go right onto the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.