Craigslist score, got my second stove :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlehneman

Sep 12, 2013
Lakes Region, NH
I've been running an Englander PAH for the past few years to heat my 1600sq.ft ranch and it has done a great job, but I've been really wanting to heat the basement for a while now. So I was debating trying to heat the whole house from the basement, but I'm not convinced it would give me what I want. Also, I love having the stove for the visual of a fire so moving it to the basement would've left me missing that. The answer: a second stove of course!

Been scouring craigslist for a while now for something decent on a budget and today I finally grabbed something. It's an Englander EP purchased less then a year ago by a retired couple who decided pellets were too much work. He was pretty motivated to sell it, so I jumped on it.
Got him to throw in a new ash vac, 23 bags of pellets plus a full hopper, full Duravent through the wall exhaust kit and the OAK along with the stove for only $900!!
So needless to say I'm very excited about it and spent a while cleaning it well. Like most average stove owners, it didn't look like he had done a good internal cleaning at all, so it took some work, but she's beautiful now and should purr nicely.

Since it wouldn't have happened without pictures, here is a picture of the stove after cleaning. The brass trim will be swapped to nickel soon since I don't live in Caesars Palace...lol

10668675_854163214617530_5642437408755666824_o.jpg

Reactions: AGPNY and tech tchr
Great score on a lightly used pellet eater!

It'll be interesting (or scary) to see how many more pellets I burn this year with a second stove.

OUTSTANDING!!! Why is it that I NEVER find such deals? I hear about them AFTER the fact. :(

I can tell you that when i bought my second stove, my pellet usage stayed the same. I was heating my bi-level home with a Mt. Vernon AE on my lower floor. I had to turn it up to 80 degrees to get it up to 68 in the 2nd floor bedrooms. When I got my Accentra on the 2nd floor i was able to set the Quad to 70 degrees and the Harman the same. Both floors stayed warm and the Quad barelly ran downstairs, my usage was 4 tons between both stoves, same as before. Will be nice to see how you do this season.

Reactions: dlehneman
OUTSTANDING!!! Why is it that I NEVER find such deals? I hear about them AFTER the fact. :(
The trick is to watch Craiglist daily and if you find something you like, wait till it's been reposted a few times. If they start lowering the price and it's not selling, you know they are either motivated or desperate. Then as long as you have cash you lowball them below what you actually think they'll take. Sometimes they bite, but normally they'll counter at what you actually hope to pay :) Of coarse for a bigger item, like a stove, you also need to be sitting on a decent stack of cash to make the deal.

I can tell you that when i bought my second stove, my pellet usage stayed the same. I was heating my bi-level home with a Mt. Vernon AE on my lower floor. I had to turn it up to 80 degrees to get it up to 68 in the 2nd floor bedrooms. When I got my Accentra on the 2nd floor i was able to set the Quad to 70 degrees and the Harman the same. Both floors stayed warm and the Quad barelly ran downstairs, my usage was 4 tons between both stoves, same as before. Will be nice to see how you do this season.
That's good to hear, hopefully I find the same or similar. I'm sure the 1st floor stove won't have to work very hard most of the time with this setup, so hopefully it's easier on both of them.

I guess I never mentioned but he started at $1200 without the accessories but in about 10 days he had dropped the price twice, first to $1100, then to $1000 with extras. So I knew he would negotiate and offered him $800. He said just the stove for that price, which would have left me buying a $225 pipe kit and moving my ash vac constantly, so I upped my offer to $900 with accessories and he begrudgingly accepted. To his credit though, he was a hell of a nice guy when I got there and helped me lug and load all the stuff. Thank god I brought the trailer for the stove since he only thought he had 10 bags of pellets initially. Then we discovered the stack was a lot bigger and I was pretty pressed for space.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
Gotta just be in the right place at the right time. I scored my basement pellet stove that way. I think I called the guy about 30 min after he posted the add. I was there that evening with cash and my "American Pickers" A-game attitude with my wife there as "bad cop" just in case. The guy said 5 other people called between the time I hung up with him and the time I got to his house.

I had pretty much the the same experience last year when I replaced my Whitfield with a Harman downstairs. The Whitfield would heat my family room so well that with it trimmed back I needed to open windows and the heat didn't really travel upstairs. I pretty much only used the Whitfield when we were downstairs. I put my office downstairs last year and wanted to keep the basement level warm all the time utilizing the thermostat on the Harman, I was not expecting the stronger fan to heat my upper level as well. SURPRISE! My upstairs stove simply augments the lower level stove now and my pellet usage is not much different. Best thing I ever did besides buying that first pellet stove back in the 90's.... Best of luck with the new stove...

The trick is to watch Craiglist daily and if you find something you like, wait till it's been reposted a few times. If they start lowering the price and it's not selling, you know they are either motivated or desperate. Then as long as you have cash you lowball them below what you actually think they'll take. Sometimes they bite, but normally they'll counter at what you actually hope to pay :) Of coarse for a bigger item, like a stove, you also need to be sitting on a decent stack of cash to make the deal.
You must have been sitting behind me at the car dealership!!!!! Those aholes hate to see me come in.

If everyone at the car dealership doesn't despise you by the time you leave with your new car, then you didn't do it right.

I've been running an Englander PAH for the past few years to heat my 1600sq.ft ranch and it has done a great job, but I've been really wanting to heat the basement for a while now. So I was debating trying to heat the whole house from the basement, but I'm not convinced it would give me what I want. Also, I love having the stove for the visual of a fire so moving it to the basement would've left me missing that. The answer: a second stove of course!

Been scouring craigslist for a while now for something decent on a budget and today I finally grabbed something. It's an Englander EP purchased less then a year ago by a retired couple who decided pellets were too much work. He was pretty motivated to sell it, so I jumped on it.
Got him to throw in a new ash vac, 23 bags of pellets plus a full hopper, full Duravent through the wall exhaust kit and the OAK along with the stove for only $900!!
So needless to say I'm very excited about it and spent a while cleaning it well. Like most average stove owners, it didn't look like he had done a good internal cleaning at all, so it took some work, but she's beautiful now and should purr nicely.

Since it wouldn't have happened without pictures, here is a picture of the stove after cleaning. The brass trim will be swapped to nickel soon since I don't live in Caesars Palace...lol

10668675_854163214617530_5642437408755666824_o.jpg
Great deal nice lookin stove

You must have been sitting behind me at the car dealership!!!!! Those aholes hate to see me come in.
Not at all, think about it, a dealership sells hundreds of cars every month, how many do you buy per year? I used to enjoy taking money from people that thought they knew it all.........

Great score!

We did that with ours too, went and looked at it with the cash in hand in the month of December and left the guy with a hole in his wall
We had to return the next day to get the rest of the pellets

Good Score

I Just got one of CL too with the Nickel Trim! A little older and a little cheaper.
Got new firebrick for it. I have 2 stoves in the house and one in the shed.
How about a Patio Heater? I could build a weather housing for it?
See pic
Click to Enlarge:

Attachments

• 25-EP.JPG
    25-EP.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 123
Not at all, think about it, a dealership sells hundreds of cars every month, how many do you buy per year? I used to enjoy taking money from people that thought they knew it all.........
I always bought new cars for the last 50 years, usually one every other year. I did my research and stuck to my guns on what I was willing to pay. My philosophy was that, if they weren't making money, they wouldn't sell me the car no matter how much they cried. In the 'old days' the basic car was marked up 12% and the accessories 15%. Now they have found new ways to hide most of those costs in things like advertising fees, dealership fees, the gross $499 they charge to feed paper into the printer to print out your paperwork and all the 'dealer installed options' like paint protector, fabric protector, window and hood shields, etc. I still use the 12 and 15%, give them some of the BS prep fee, and NONE of the dealer installed charges. Take it or leave it. I don't NEED a new car but maybe the dealer next to them wants to sell me something. Never ever fall in love with a car and my wife has learned by now to shut up! :)

I bet you really liked it when a young lady came in ready to pay sticker price.

Home Depot in Natick MA is clearancing out a used return like this stove for around $1200 tonight.

Home Depot in Natick MA is clearancing out a used return like this stove for around $1200 tonight.
I've seen one at a local Lowe's too, last season. They actually put it out on the floor still dirty, and I mean couldn't even be bothered to clean the piles of ash visible through the window! Judging by reviews I think the average person buys it thinking they don't have to clean it, then wonder why it doesn't run well.

Good Score

I Just got one of CL too with the Nickel Trim! A little older and a little cheaper.
Got new firebrick for it. I have 2 stoves in the house and one in the shed.
How about a Patio Heater? I could build a weather housing for it?
See pic
Click to Enlarge:

Hey Don, how do like it? I've been wanting to try this stove for a while now.

I fired it up in the garage one night. It works great and according my friend at England Stove Works it has an extremely efficient heat exchanger. Another friend who also has a 25-pdvc said this stove puts out more heat. I also worked on a couple and found that it is the only top load auger with NO auger bearing. It is called "Direct Drive"

wow good deal nice stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.