Craigslist wood ID help please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipper50

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2007
Indiana
I have a chance to get the below wood that the owner has no idea what it is. He said its not oak or hickory.

I have to buck the wood and hand split it and then drive a total of 40 miles round trip for the wood. Is it worth the effort?

Shipper

Attachments

• 1f61271493k83pa3l48caf9e2c42de3c017d8.jpg
    1f61271493k83pa3l48caf9e2c42de3c017d8.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 604
To me it looks like cottenwood or willow? What part of indiana you from?

smokinj said:
I live in a small town called Springville, the wood is in Bloomington.

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
smokinj said:
I live in a small town called Springville, the wood is in Bloomington.

Shipper
just seeing if you where close got a lot of maple to cut!

seeing the orange around the rim Im going to say its Sassafrass. I have a lot of this on my property. And yes, they do get that big.

ask the guy to cut into a piece and see if it smells sweet like root beer. if it does its definitely sassafrass.

BucksCoBernie said:
seeing the orange around the rim Im going to say its Sassafrass. I have a lot of this on my property. And yes, they do get that big.

ask the guy to cut into a piece and see if it smells sweet like root beer. if it does its definitely sassafrass.

I don't think Sass is very common in Indiana....but I guess I really don't know.

Jags said:
BucksCoBernie said:

I don't think Sass is very common in Indiana....but I guess I really don't know.
My dad had some on his farm but all died in the late 70's. There is alot of cottonwood around indiana when they dont know what kind of three it is seems to always come up cottonwood!and they will not tell you because no one will show up for it. they know its not "hickory" or "oak" the craiglist people that is(they know what it is)

Thanks for the replies so far. The guy told me a few people showed up when he first listed it on CL and they all took the main limbs which were 8-10 inches or so. No one seems to want to bother with the trunk as its about 30 inches at the butt and about 30 feet long from what he says. He cut the tree and limbed it, but said he was PO at the guys who took the small wood and didn't come back.

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
Thanks for the replys so far. The guy told me a few people showed up when he first listed it on CL and they all took the main limbs which were 8-10 inches or so. No one seems to want to bother with the trunk as its about 30 inches at the butt and about 30 feet long from what he says. He cut the tree and limbed it, but said he was PO at the guys who took the small wood and didnt come back.

Shipper
They figure out what it is.I maybe wrong here but how can they tell "what it is not" unless they know what it is! I am saying this for 2 reason its happen to me alot and the pic' looks like cottonwood.Not saying you shouldnt get it but it is what it is.

smokinj said:
.......but how can they tell "what it is not" unless they know what it is!

It ain't black walnut. ;-P

Jags said:
smokinj said:
.......but how can they tell "what it is not" unless they know what it is!

It ain't black walnut. ;-P
lol i just saying for some reason and this may not be the case but It seems that people on craiglist play dumb so they can get the job for free!(i have pulled up to many and just drove on ward)and it sure looks like cottonwood

Here is the reply I got from the listing person.I don't know what it is but i know what its not and its not maple,hickory,walnut or ash. About 4 or five hits split it bring a wedge and maul .812-824-6958

I might call him again on Friday morning and see if anyone has got the wood and if not, go and see it in person and try to split it. If it takes me 20 swings, I will get back in the truck and head home.

Shipper

Good ole sassafras.. If it will make a truckload I would go get it.. It is gopher wood to some.. But there is nothing better for restarting a fire in the morning. Starts quick and makes good heat.

ericjeeper said:
Good ole sassafras.. If it will make a truckload I would go get it.. It is gopher wood to some.. But there is nothing better for restarting a fire in the morning. Starts quick and makes good heat.
Oh great one, does it split easily by hand? %-P

Shipper

Why not ask the seller to post a pic of the leaves that came off the tree? Leaves are more identifiable than tree trunks!

I thinking it white ash .It looks like the bark has a dimand shape to it They say It really doesnt have to season that long.Some people will burn ash if they run out of wood doring the winter month

I agree It sure looks like sassafras to me,I have alot some 24" in diameter I don't burn any as it is only fair in the stove it does split easy it makes me sneeze when I saw it,the smell I guess

It looks like the Craigslist cottonwood I got suckered into this past summer, I am new to the game and knew something wasn't quite right when I started splitting it and it smelled like a pig farm! I got two truckloads to burn anyways...

Status
Not open for further replies.