1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Cranberry time

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by begreen, Sep 8, 2013.

1. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Fall means cranberry harvest time. This is a great video of the process with a bit of a twist.

h2ochild and BrianK like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Funny that I was watching that video this morning. It is the first time I've seen how they harvest it.
  3. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yes. Most folks don't know that the cranberries grow on low bushes. They only flood the field for harvesting. Bet no one ever thought of the visuals of wakeboarding here.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Ray lives by some cranberry bogs near Boston. That has to be neat to watch every fall. Maybe we should ask him if he rides the boards? ;lol
  5. DaveGunter

DaveGunter Member

Loc:
    coastal maine
    Lingonberries (mountain cranberry) around my house. The cranberry that thinks it's a blueberry, small and juicy like a blueberry with cranberry flavor. A handful of each on your cereal in the a.m. and you've got all the anti-oxidant you could want. Actually I think they are grown commercially around the PNW?
  6. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Lingonberries are a favorite of the local Scandinavian population. They are tart like a cranberry, but good when sweetened in a jam or sauce. In Sweden and Norway, reindeer and elk steak is traditionally served with gravy and lingonberry sauce, much like our turkey and cranberry sauce.
  7. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    Aaah, used to roam the crane-berry bogs in the 'woods' around my house as a kid in MA. The wasted ones on the ground would pop under your shoes and stain them.