Crap, forgot about the stash...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
My first year burning I ran out of wood. In order to make sure it didn't happen again I put away a little wood every year until I was sure I had enough to get me by in an emergency... long winter, bad year scrounging, etc.

When setting up wood storage for the new house I forgot about the approximate cord of wood I put away in the back of the machine shed at the old house. If I would have remembered I would have arranged the stacks a different way. Now there is about 500 cu ft of wood that should be over about 5 feet.

Now I need to stack further out into the yard. Or, I need to build a bunch of 4 foot long racks to go over to the fence line. I may end up doing both since I'll be adding another 3 cords or so.

I suppose there could be worse problems to have. It's a form of insurance for the wife, little one and I. I don't know how much wood it will take to heat the house, but I estimate about 3 years of wood stacked and drying.

Matt

A 3 year supply is excellent and you are correct that it is good insurance. It is better than money in the bank.

Heh - how to hide a cord of wood in such a way that you forget about it. That takes... talent? :)

As you said, nice problem to have. At least you didn't rediscover it after being cold the last part of a hard winter eh?

Shuffling wood around is a pain. As much as I like stacking wood and working it, I am finding there is far more pleasure in stacking new wood than there is in moving an existing pile. I just moved 2 cords of wood that I had split over the winter and I hope the next time I move it is to the stove more than a year from now but it likely will be shifted once more before that time. Rotating stock is so much easier with the milk jugs in the fridge than with cords of wood in the yard!

Status
Not open for further replies.