Crappy Jotul Manual

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slindo

Mar 14, 2008
Maine
Just picked up an Oslo. After hearing all these years what a great company Jotul is, I was surprised how bad the owner's manual is. As a technical writer I always find it ironic when a company spends millions of dollars making a good product, then sends it out with a lousy manual.

The stove comes with a number of pieces in the firebox which the installer must install. The assembly section covering this is one paragraph long, with no illustrations. It tells you how the ash lips go, but never says what ash lips are so you got to go to the back of the manual, read down the list of parts, then turn to the microscopic schematic to find out what they look like.\.

There's a bag of small parts included, but no explanation of what they are or where they go. A proper manual or packing slip would have pictures and description to identify each part. While the manual tells (in the aforementioned single assembly paragraph) how to put on the flue collar and ash lips it makes no mention of the knobs and attendant hardware which are also in the small parts bag. Back to the microscopic blow up page. OK, the knobs turn out to be pretty straightforward, other than the two washers which are located (if the location shown in the blow up is correct) pretty non-inutitively.

Finally there is a big, bent piece of sheet metal. No label or explanation in the assembly section as to what it is or what to do with it but it is pretty clear it should not stay there. Get out the reading glasses and back to the blow up. Turns out its a bottom heat shield, and there is a very brief description of its use (but not its installation) in the "Accessories" section.

Actually, other than many duplicate outlines of the stove in the clearance section and the parts blow up there are no pictures in the manual at all. Too bad. While it isn't that hard to figure out, given a little staring at the blow up and parts list, and trying the different parts in different places, how things go, why should the new owner have to do that? It's funny too that Jotul dealers love to boast how instead of expensive refractory the Jotul uses standard, ownere-replaceable $2 firebricks - but the maintenance section doesn't have a word to say about how to replace them. Come to thing of it, it doesn't mention the replacing the burnplates or refractory blanket which I am told will need periodic attention.
Maybe I have been spoiled by the gorgeous, thorough and beautifully illustrated manuals from VC's glory days, but it really seems to me that Jotul could greatly enhance the new owner experience by spending another 50¢ or so on the manual.

Oh, and some tips on how to get the stove off the pallet would be appreciated too.

Love my jotul stoves (a Castine and two propane stoves), but as a fellow writer I have to agree. With most writing, less is more. But not so with owner's manuals, which should have straightforward, detailed text and helpful illustrations and pictures.

Love my jotul stoves (a Castine and two propane stoves), but as a fellow writer I have to agree. With most writing, less is more. But not so with owner's manuals, which should have straightforward, detailed text and helpful illustrations and pictures.

As someone that reads a lot of stove manuals I find Jotul's about average. There are better and there are much worse.

I still don't know if I have my flu collar on correctly? The description in the manual and photos didn't look like what I have.

Just started with Jotul F3 last October. I think thats the tenth time I've said that, anyways find a stoveshop that sells Jotuls if you did'nt buy from one. I went back 8 times with a new question each time and a display model to look at inside and out. Most of the time what I learned so did the customer rep. Good Luck

common guy, there are only two ways the flu collar can go. either your exhausting out the top or towards the back. its pretty self explanatory. the only two things you have to install is that and the ash lip

Reactions: jotulguy
Agreed . . . not the best written manual . . . but even a mechanically disinclined idiot like myself could figure things out with a bit of reading and pondering . . . and they do get extra points for not writing in broken, disjointed English so that you wonder what "This true fairly dial upwards and adjusting accordingly" means . . . or is supposed to mean . . . like I have seen in other manuals. ;)

FWIW, it's rare to find a well written manual. Jotul's docs are better than some. I just read through the new Osburn Matrix manual. It is a better effort and shows some clear influence by hearth.com methinks. Fyrebug, did you help with it? I did note however, conspicuously absent, except in the warranty, are any mention of overfiring, the proper temperature to run the insert or where to measure it.

I got lucky, my stove was completely assembled when I got it ( a floor model ) and the manual was basically for the manufacturers specs on distances and clearances.

My dealer installed mine. After years of putting things together with my husband (most famouse was our gas grill debacle) we decied to pay for the service. We can do hammer and nails, but forget little parts. Oh yes, forgot to mention the assembly of the Bow-Flex machine, that was a doosey too.

HHmmm... well... I thought the manual was no worse than average.. but I don't recall there being anything really tricky about uncrating, assembling and hooking up my sisters Oslo..

Reactions: jotulguy
Yes, it was easy to put together even without the manual, but the flu collar seems strange to me. It has 3 bolt holes and there are no holes in the casting inside the stove. I installed the collar so that the bolts won't allow it to pull out. I do see that it is not a really tight fit, you can see a bit of light around it from the fire when the lights are out.

The stove does work great though!

Status
Not open for further replies.