Crazy Cedar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hareball

Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2009
Jersey shore/pines
I was looking over some old posts on a jersey pine barrens forum and came across this crazy cedar. This image was sent to someone from the NJ Audobon Society;
Normally growth like this, especially in pines ("wolf pines"), is the result of logging or insect damage. Most likely the apical meristem was damaged and energy was put into lateral branch growth. Never seen a cedar do it to that extreme though

Attachments

• cedar1.jpg
    cedar1.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 341
Thats pretty wild!

:bug: That is one beastly looking tree...just waiting for its "eyes" to open and start walking towards me like in Lord of the Rings

daveswoodhauler said:
:bug: That is one beastly looking tree...just waiting for its "eyes" to open and start walking towards me like in Lord of the Rings

lol HR poof and stuff!

I've seen some crazy lookin cedars while huntin deep in the bush, but i've never seen one like that!

Hey pagey, looks like im headed down your way this weekend. Gotta move my buddy back up here so TN here we come!

hareball said:
I was looking over some old posts on a jersey pine barrens forum and came across this crazy cedar. This image was sent to someone from the NJ Audobon Society;
Normally growth like this, especially in pines ("wolf pines"), is the result of logging or insect damage. Most likely the apical meristem was damaged and energy was put into lateral branch growth. Never seen a cedar do it to that extreme though
Sometimes the white pine here try to do that. If they are growing out in the open, there is a bug/disease that kills the top, then the uppermost branches turn upward so that one becomes the new top. It doesn't affect white pine growing in the shade though; weird.

SmokinPiney said:
I've seen some crazy lookin cedars while huntin deep in the bush, but i've never seen one like that!

Hey pagey, looks like im headed down your way this weekend. Gotta move my buddy back up here so TN here we come!

TN welcomes you!

Status
Not open for further replies.