Crazy, crazy weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
We're back in the 60's again! 62 degrees right now and 60 predicted for the next 2 days. However, this is not abnormal. We sometimes get some warm in early November but then it usually drops pretty fast. But looking at the long range it does not appear anything real cold is coming our way. We haven't been below 25 yet and only hit that once or twice.

So, now that it is in the 60's and sunny again.....we have the stupid lady bug type bugs again..... Come on cold....

70 here now high 75 today and sunday.Great weekend to be putting my new windows in.After that starting on the new northstar fireplace

This morning I was splitting wood in insulated bib overalls, poly pro top and neck gator. Just had lunch and am going out in shorts to give it go.

Backwoods Savage said:
We're back in the 60's again! 62 degrees right now and 60 predicted for the next 2 days. However, this is not abnormal. We sometimes get some warm in early November but then it usually drops pretty fast. But looking at the long range it does not appear anything real cold is coming our way. We haven't been below 25 yet and only hit that once or twice.

So, now that it is in the 60's and sunny again.....we have the stupid lady bug type bugs again..... Come on cold....

Oh my gosh, you have stupid lady bug thingys too - I thought I was they only one.
I run around vaccuming them out of windows, ceiling etc.
I figure I can reduce the breeding population this way, otherwise don't know how to get rid of them - they were really bad last year.

Lower 70s in TN today. I just turned on the A/C upstairs because it was too warm for me. But, I have been busy today. Hauled up a face cord of chestnut oak and split some with the maul. Organized the pine in my back face cord in the shed. Cleaned the back gutters. Washed dishes and swept. Then walked a mile and picked up the mail on the way back. In another hour, I'm running the poly brush down the SS just for kicks and giggles. Supposed to be even warmer tomorrow. Indian Summer, anyone?

szmaine said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Oh my gosh, you have stupid lady bug thingys too - I thought I was they only one.
I run around vaccuming them out of windows, ceiling etc.
I figure I can reduce the breeding population this way, otherwise don't know how to get rid of them - they were really bad last year.

They are so bad this year whenever it warms up that we have even taken to using the shop vac to suck them up off the house siding. It has been a few years since we've seen them this bad.

30 last night and over 50 this afternoon. They say 65 on Sunday. The Fireview was really liking the cold last night. The colder air outside certainly turns up the draft a couple notches. The the heat still hasn't come on yet.

Steve, this shouldn't last too long. Usually what happens is the cold moves in a little slow and then Wham! It hits you big time. We'll be burning again soon enough.

Matt, you must not have those little potlickers or you wouldn't ask. They still get in the house but I have no idea how just yet. Every fall I go all around with the caulking gun to plug any holes or cracks; they still get in somehow. We're just glad they don't all get in. What a mess that would be. They come by the thousands and thousands and they also bite and also stink. Nasty things they are.

Hit 68° so far today. Down into the 30s tonight. Still coals in the old stove from last night, so should be able to just put in a split or two before bed tonight and good until tomorrow morning. This weather won't last long. All of a sudden it will drop and kill all those stupid little orange biting beetles! Yep, we have them here too. Not nearly as bad this year as in past years, but still fairly thick.

Backwoods Savage said:
Steve, this shouldn't last too long. Usually what happens is the cold moves in a little slow and then Wham! It hits you big time. We'll be burning again soon enough.

Matt, you must not have those little potlickers or you wouldn't ask. They still get in the house but I have no idea how just yet. Every fall I go all around with the caulking gun to plug any holes or cracks; they still get in somehow. We're just glad they don't all get in. What a mess that would be. They come by the thousands and thousands and they also bite and also stink. Nasty things they are.

They are some cheap knock-off Asian lady-beetle. They DO bite (more ways than one). They don't taste so good either - they are fond of hanging around in lights on end tables and drop into your drink sitting there...bluck!
We don't see them on our house, they are in our house - must go dormant in the walls. Maybe put some Borax in that shop vac so they don't live to breed again.

Edit: I mean boric acid.

Sorry, Dennis, we must have sent them to you. They were really bad here last year but this year not so much.

Backwoods Savage said:

Stop it! The fellas in the liberal "sewing circle" on this site will start saying that Al Gore was right on the money!

what part of michigan u getting these bugs in? also if you got a pic of the bug can you post it?

Looky here maw.....Mr dennis is a sweepin the outside of the house agin..... ;-P .
soory dennis just couldent resist. Those imports are a pain when we have these late warm spells.

Here in central NY we also have the hot/cold temperature extremes which is somewhat typical of our fall weather. The cold, snow, severe drifting and other seasonal talking points will be here soon enough so I am enjoying the warmth while I can.

Was moving stacked wood yesterday and noticed large colonies of these lady bugs numbering in the hundreds at each colony. I mashed them all, knowing that sooner or later they would try to break into my house where they are most certainly not welcome. These bothersome beetles and their larvae feed on bothersome insects and their larvae. So, I guess they serve a needed purpose in the balance of nature. I just wish they would serve that purpose somewhere not around people.

No fire today and probably not tomorrow.

Best,

John_M

34F at dawn here in the mountains of NC. Looks like we'll have temps on the 60's today, and a pretty mild week coming. That'll give me more time to stack my wood. I am way ahead schedule for this year, wood wise, and look to be fine for next year too.

65-maybe 70 today and than it's supposed to plummet to the 20's tonight...and yes, we have lady bugs everywhere!

greythorn3 said:
what part of michigan u getting these bugs in? also if you got a pic of the bug can you post it?

We are about 35 miles SW of Saginaw or 55 miles N and a little east of Lansing.

This should give you an idea of what they are like. Now just imagine them by the thousands and millions. They also can crawl through the smallest holes...

Bugs.gif

raven said:
Looky here maw.....Mr dennis is a sweepin the outside of the house agin..... ;-P .
soory dennis just couldent resist. Those imports are a pain when we have these late warm spells.

:) :) :) Dang I had to laugh when I read this!

btw, we had 66 yesterday and not they are forecasting the same today. Right now the fog is so thick we can't see but about 40 yards.

Supposed to hit 76 in Nashville today, so we should hit 72 easy. Crazy. But it does make the woodpile last longer!

Wasn't getting the warm splash everyone else has been mentioning but it must be on the way -just looked out the window and saw my beehives all aflutter and knew it must be at least 50 deg - this is welcome, I can take one last peek and make sure everyone has enough food for winter or I'll have to get some more sugar syrup into them.

Status
Not open for further replies.