Crazy Idea for a Heat Pump / Wood Boiler / Open Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ejhills

Jun 26, 2008
Central Maine
It occurs to me that you could take a heat pump/ mini split and attach a coil to it instead of the air handler.

Then you could use it to maintain hot water storage temps and not burn as much wood.

The heat pump could maintain the water at 100f and then my wood boiler could com in and quickly push it up to 180f for the radiators.

How crazy am I.....

This is true, but you would probably have to keep the two loops isolated from each other. The heat pump isn't going to be able to do anything with the radiator return water temps. It looks like Daikin, Fujitsu, and maybe others make air to water heat pumps. Considering the initial expense, increased system complexity, and electrical costs - you'll probably find that you might as well just keep burning as much wood as it takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.