crazy install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

devinsdad

Sep 25, 2009
northern NY
Bought a house last year with a wood stove.Kodiak.This stove was installed in an alcove with protected walls with 12" clearance on the sides and rear. the 8" single wall pipe was 8" away from 30 yr old framing studs. then 45 degreed for a foot then 45 degreed right against wall protector 1" away from paneling. not joking. the elbow looked like it had been beaten into a tee support that was above the ceiling.basically the single wall pipe was 'customized' to fit into the metalbestos. The previous owner used this stove for primary heat. I found a one inch lining of creosote through out whole pipe. it was running out and down the pipe. This was middle of last november. Just started tear out of this mess .. tore the pipe out. the insulated pipe has 3 holes the size of dimes in it right where it connects to another lenght in between roof and ceiling. where the custom tee support was used to hold the singlewall and insulated pipe together the ceiling framing was charred in an area the size of a dollar. not charcoal but black. oh yeah and the floor protection consisted of a 2x4 hearth with 1/2" plywood with misc. tiles just setting on it and a cookie sheet directly under the stove. Why did it not burn to the ground?

A cookie sheet huh... I'll have to remember that one for the next tile on plywood hearth I encounter. I wonder if anyone sells UL listed cookie sheet heat shields?

It looked like it might have been a listed cookie tin but the tag burned off :)

Statistically, when adding up all of the errors, this should have been a pile of ash. Who knows, perhaps he was saved by the fact that he always burnt green wood and it never got hot enough to catch anything in the chimney on fire!!!!

However, as Mark Twain said: "There are lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Essentially, I wouldn't have wanted to play his game of Russian Roulette regardless of his outcome. This guy was merely another example of one lucky @#$#@ moron.

pen

They say god protects babys and fools.

Status
Not open for further replies.