Crazy weather and stupid weather forecasters. Do we burn or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Most folks were figuring on burning the skin from too much sunshine and warm air today. Maybe even yesterday.

We had been forecast warm for the weekend and lots of promises all week long. The best we heard was low 70's for yesterday and low 80's for today. Ha! We didn't quite reach 60 yesterday although it was a beautiful day. We had let the stove go out but started a small fire last night to take the chill off. This morning....we started another fire and it is still going. They have toned down the forecast. One says 77 and the other says 73. Presently 52 and cloudy. Supposed to get really windy too but unless something changes, the stove won't be cool for long around here.

Promises, promises... I think I'll go to the wood shed for a few more splits.

I hear you Dennis! I didn't light up this morning due to them saying high 70's low 80's for today. About an hour again I walked over to the thermostat and set it on 70. The furnace hasn't run much this winter so I'll let it work for a little while. :-S

I'm quite sure my neighbors think I'm nuts. I had a fire last night. They no longer burn wood but the guy used to burn a lot of wood. I was worried about it for a while, with the smoke at start up or the mess of splitting wood or the stacks around the lot. We are closely spaced and can see over the fence easily. I am working on the sixth cord for next year and will continue to burn as long as required by the weather.

Yeah, they are calling for 70's here but since I live on a big lake that is still ice covered it can be 10-20 degrees cooler than the forecast if the wind is off the lake. Dennis, I bet Lake Michigan is screwing with your forecasts.

Still burning here 24/7..I might hit 11 fc if I continue much longer.
Starting to wonder if it might be cheaper just to run the heat pump.
Mines old..25 years but has never ran much..might have one years worth of running it all said and done..lol.
Had it check two summers ago..bro in law is a heating tech..said all was fine.

Sun has popped out and the temps are climbing, it's almost 70 here! :) Of course thunder storms are on the way. :lol:

It was 85+ yesterday with the humidity only a little below 50%. Worked some on my pile of cemetery wood yesterday afternoon. HOT HOT HOT. Wished I'd had this pile a month ago when it was cooler.

Be patient, the heat's coming! In a month or two we'll be wishing for some cool air.

Ed

Todd said:
Yeah, they are calling for 70's here but since I live on a big lake that is still ice covered it can be 10-20 degrees cooler than the forecast if the wind is off the lake. Dennis, I bet Lake Michigan is screwing with your forecasts.

I was just going to say the same thing, happens around here when you get a breeze off of the ocean, nice in the summer, not so nice in the spring. I went cod fishing one day in May couple years ago and forecast was low 80's, when we got out 25 miles on the ocean I froze my azz off.

Well folks, I just returned from a short 15 mile bike ride. The first outdoor ride this year and it felt great even though it was pretty windy. Wind is something we can usually count on in the Spring and fall for sure.

I was amazed how fast the air warmed up after the sun came back out. At present the temperature is 78 degrees!!!!!! Certainly not unheard of for this time of year as it does happen every now and then but it feels especially good this year after a cold winter and spring. We know this won't last past today but it is great right now!!! I still have to call the forecasters stupid for how badly they've missed this. We had been forecast to have some bad storms this morning. Not a drop of rain fell here. But that certainly does not make me disturbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.