Crazy weather vs wood pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hills Hoard

Minister of Fire
Mar 19, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
We have had some really bad weather where I am with really strong winds and rain. As I was getting ready for work this morning opening up the curtains i noticed my wood pile out the back didn't look right...i went and had a closer look and sure enough the wood pile has started to collapse...it hasn't fully collapsed but it needs work..its like one end is now leaning on the pile behind (i stack in rows of 2) and the other lost its plastic covering and a few of the splits have fallen off.....DOH......so i propped it up best as i could and left it for now. i'll have a closer look tonight...

Not sure if it started to collapse because of my crap stacking, or if it still mostly standing due to my brilliant stacking skills?...haha

"Crap stacking" ..... I love it :cool:

As the wood dries it shrinks so a little of both. I will lose a section every now and again. saw one are Monday evening that likely by this time next week will toppled,. got some storms that are going to be moving through the next few days so that will likely be the trigger.

fair point, i didnt think of that...thanks

Or it could be your crap stacking. Just sayin. ;lol

What do you burn in over there in Melbourne, Australia? What type of wood do you burn? How much wood do you go through in a season?

Reactions: PapaDave
Or it could be your crap stacking. Just sayin. ;lol

What do you burn in over there in Melbourne, Australia? What type of wood do you burn? How much wood do you go through in a season?

I burn a lot of Stringy bark (Eucalyptus) because that stuff is in abundance in my area after strong winds. I also have an uncle that gave me access to a monster pile of Yellow Box which is as good as if not better than Red Gum which widely is considered the best to burn around here. (im my opinion anyway). So its predominantly Gum that I burn. I also scrounge a cedar or pine abd i'll use that for starting the fire. In the last few months I also scrounged a heap of stuff that I didn't even know what i was and I dont think i'll do this anymore. A lot of it was pre cut so none of it splits even etc. And probably why my wood pile isn't as solid as it could be...haha hop ethat answers your questions.

As for how much I burn? I think its about this much per winter. I havent been doing this for that long so Im still figuring things out. I typically only burn on the weekend during winter so I dont use that much.

2014 pile.jpg

Reactions: Gasifier
I should really do more research on it shouldn't i. I know nothing about it. I have seen it up close and it is impressive.

A quick search said it was "used during the Second World War to make charcoal for gas producer units fitted to motor cars"

Status
Not open for further replies.