Crazy wood drying idea?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hankjones

Jan 2, 2011
Northern Virginia
I've been reading this forum for a few months now and think I've finally learned that the most important thing in drying wood is airflow. Given that I really only need a cord a year, do any of you see a problem with putting my wood pile in the same area as my heat pump? I figured I could make like a semi circle 5 feet from the heat pump very loosely stacked, and then put another semi circle behind it. We have hot summers and the heat pump pretty much runs all the time, day and night. Wouldn't that dry the wood pretty fast? Hot air blowing on the stack? Over where I am we've got a lot of oak, and I can't wait two years for that stack to dry.

I'd be more apt to recommend cutting the splits a little smaller than you might first think then stacking them in a single row in a place w/ lots of air. That will speed drying.

Your logic is fine but my concern would be that the heat pump could lose some of it's air flow as the wood will slow down the air from the pump and perhaps make the pump less efficient or in a worst case, overheat it.

Even if it only reduces air flow, the pump won't work as well and it will cost you more electric. Considering the cost of those things I don't think I'd have the nerve to take a chance and damage it.

pen

It is a very creative idea. Unfortunately everything has a compromise and reducing the air flow to your heat pump is probably just that. Also you shouldn't have that much wood near your house (in my opinion).
Talk to a heat pump expert, maybe its fine.

One major problem would be that the heat exchanger draws air in from the sides and discharges it, heated, upward from the top.

IME temperature has a major influence on rate of air-drying of wood, and you'd not benefit from that flow of heated air.

Also, anyone having to get at unit while so blockaded, would not be pleased, to say the least.

Ja, the title says it. Find another spot that doesn't impede the airflow on the heat pump and one that has good solar heat and natural air movement.

Northern Virginia? like a rifle shot from DC ...I dunno that's a humid area.

True, air flow is important but I'm also thinking morning sun to dry the dew may trump 'air flow'. Otherwise you'll end up with a moss covered pile of bugs.

It's probably best for you to consult with some experienced wood burning neighbors for some local knowledge on proper seasoning.

pen said:
I'd be more apt to recommend cutting the splits a little smaller than you might first think then stacking them in a single row in a place w/ lots of air. That will speed drying.

+1

Stacking loose in single rows facing the prevailing wind is the fastest way to dry wood outdoors. I like your thinking, but I really don't feel you will see any difference.

Oak doesn't have to take two years to dry if you split it smaller. Lots of folks reporting very long drying times for oak like large splits. I use 18-20" wood, and I don't put anything less than 5-6" in my stove once it's going well, so oak is not a favorite for me. Oak cut 14-16" long and split 3-4" should dry at least 50% faster in theory.

A good friend burns only red oak that he cuts and splits in spring and early summer. He cuts it 12" long, splits it wrist size, and stacks loose it under cover from the rain and it burns fine the next winter. His wife is a stay at home mom who doesn't mind feeding that small stuff into the Jotul 118 all day long, and then he puts a couple old honkers on at night before bed. Burning that way would drive most folks nuts, but he does get good, dry oak fast by cutting it so small and it's worked for him for 25 years now.

BK that is just crazy talk :cheese: , I posted my findings about oak that was OL on the moisture meter last spring and down to 20% in Oct.(small splits) a while back and it fell on deaf ears.

oldspark said:
BK that is just crazy talk

What can I say? I am one wild and cuh-razy guy! After all, just look what I did last year in the BattenKiln in less than 3 weeks:

Attachments

• Red Oak - 19 Days.jpg
    Red Oak - 19 Days.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 543
I have a better idea. Cut the stuff and leave it alone until it is ready to burn. Simple. This is also why I say to have 2-3 years ahead. In Hank's case, all he'd need is 3 cord of wood and then just add the one cord every year. Mother Nature does her thing and Hank gets lots of heat and doesn't have burning problems nor creosote problems. He may even need less than a cord per year once he gets to the position of having 2-3 years ahead on the wood.

Knew i would get a lively dialog on this forum. I guess the general consensus is that it maybe a bad idea, so i guess i'll have to do what i've seen in this forum... Hypothesize, test, and report! I'll try with a small batch and test, just for curiosity sake... I do worry about over heating the heat pump, but just the thought of all that wasted air flow...

I'm probably like a lot of the part time burners on here. Wife don't want to see stacks and stacks of wood in the backyard. She actually liked the idea of a Holz Hausen, since it kinda looks nice and i could get over a cord in there, but from what I've read some folks have gotten mold on the inside splits. I'm going to tear her down and figure out where to stack it were it gets wife approval.

I think you have a workable idea. Ask your heat pump guy if 5ft. is sufficient and your wife if you can proceed with that. Should accelerate drying time considerably.

Is the area around the heat pump sunny and exposed to the prevailing wind? If it doesn't get much sun or regular wind I doubt you'll get any benefit from the heat pump airflow. But if it is a good seasoning spot otherwise the pump might help a bit I guess. My heat pump is right against the house so one of it's four sides is pretty well blocked off already.

The problem is i don't have a sunny place exposed to prevailing wind. That's where this heat pump air idea came from, at least i would get some air better then nothing. The heat pump only has one side next to the house and is shaded. It's pretty much out of view so it wins the wife factor. My other choise is to store it at the back of my detached garage, where it's really shaded and grows mushrooms.... I figure that's probable a bad place.

There is good reason they tell you not to put a fence around your heat pump. Killing your airflow and creating a place to collect leaves or snow around your heat pump really killing the airflow. Bare minimum you'd be eating up all your savings of heating with wood. Let your heat pump do the job it was built for and stack wood somewhere else. It'll dry just fine. Just stack so you get airflow to all sides. Split smaller if you really want to speed things up. Just my $0.02

Status
Not open for further replies.