Creasote Particles from stove pipe.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolves-Lower

Oct 26, 2007
Northeastern Iowa
Does anybody else find creasote on top of their wood stove?
It seems to come from the back of my stove pipe where the joint is not as tight.
Any ideas on how to rid myself of this dirty stuff?
I was thinking of chasing the seam with some high temp silicone or something????

We just discussed this a couple of days ago.

Your stove pipe should fit so that each subsquential pipe from the top, fits INTO the pipe below it. So that creasote flows into to lower pipe down into the stove and is burnt, rather than onto the stove top.

This may sound counter intuitive, as you think that some smoke will escape. But as you use the stove, the creasote actually seals up these gaps, and stops them from leaking. Also, there should be enough draft in your chimney that very little smoke will escape into the house.

Your stove pipe should fit so that each subsquential pipe from the top, fits INTO the pipe below it. So that creasote flows into to lower pipe down into the stove and is burnt, rather than onto the stove top.
Oh-oh...now you got me thinking it is hooked up wrong?
I will submit a pic later tonight. There seems to be a gap in the back side of the seam. Sorry if this was already discussed, I tried a thread search to no avail.

Wolves-Lower said:
Oh-oh...now you got me thinking it is hooked up wrong?
I will submit a pic later tonight. There seems to be a gap in the back side of the seam. Sorry if this was already discussed, I tried a thread search to no avail.

is this "snap fit" pipe?? seam along the length of the pipe is open?

I think he means the gap where the seam fits into the next piece of pipe Mike. All of them have gaps there and need to be sealed.

BrotherBart said:
I think he means the gap where the seam fits into the next piece of pipe Mike. All of them have gaps there and need to be sealed.

oh ok, i misread , thought he was talking about the seam where pipe snaps together i agree it needs to be sealed , but was worried when i read that the seam was not staying snapped together , definately a bad situation.

is this “snap fit” pipe?? seam along the length of the pipe is open?
Yes it is snap fit pipe. And yes the back side has a gap. So I should fill it with????
Furnace cement?

Status
Not open for further replies.