Creosote and burning beech

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustWood

Minister of Fire
Aug 14, 2007
Arrow Bridge,NY
"What is creosote?
Creosote is the name used for a variety of products: wood creosote, coal tar creosote, coal tar, coal tar pitch and coal tar pitch volatiles. These products are mixtures of many chemicals created by burning beech and other woods or coal, or from the resin of creosote bushes."

This is quoted directly from the NYDEC website regulations on the disposal/handling of creosote.
They specifically named beech. My question is , does burning nothing but beech versus other woods cause more creosote ? Is there something in beech wood that causes more creosote? Maybe I'm reading into the fact that they named beech specifically. I know Eric burns alot of beech so I thought I wood put it out there for discussion.

I've never heard that before about beech. As far as I know, it's similar to other hardwoods like hard maple and yellow birch. I've found with my gasifier that different species of wood do burn differently and leave different types of ash. In my case, hard maple is the best, but beech works just fine. The only creosote I get in my boiler from any wood (and I try to burn 'em all) is in the firebox.

i burn beech rounds and splits. burns hot and clean. my water water pipes in the boiler have never looked so clean and the refractory on the door is snow white.if you look on a wood btu chart beech is one of the highest btu producers per cord.

if you can get hophornbeam, it burns wicked hot, makes great coals, and makes very little crud build up, even in rudimentary combustion appliances.

if you look up the BTU data, it makes hard maple or beech look wimpy; the only thing that comes close is locust, which takes longer to season

it is so rot resistant that, to my amazement, I have found logs of it laying dead on the ground, covered in moss, with entirely intact innards that are so seasoned that they can be burned within a month or two of cutting

I cannot wait to try it in my gasifier- soon

pybyr said:
if you can get hophornbeam, it burns wicked hot, makes great coals, and makes very little crud build up, even in rudimentary combustion appliances.
We call it ironwood in my neck of the woods. I wish I would have gotten more of it, but I was short on time last year. I've already got a few trees eyed up for when I cut this spring though.

I have a ton of ironwood in my woods, never new it has called hophornbeam.
I"m going to run a big load tonight, going to be -2. Can"t wait to see how it burns.

Keith

I started out the season burning ironwood. Had quite a few standing dead trees, they dried out fast. Good stuff, more btus than oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.