creosote build up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deerslayer699

Feb 22, 2015
eastern pa
morning,new guy here.i am on my second season with and alternate heating system woc 40 indoor boiler.I have severe creosote build up in chimney and firebox.have had problem from first year thought maybe learning curve.Outside of chimney is black with stuff running down.The wood I am burning is well seasoned.I knoiw thereis a lot of idle time.house is only 1700 sq ft if I try and run it hotter the house gets really hot and boiler will overheat.Any help would be great.Im sure I am missing something.If so ask away and will try and give as much info as I can.Thanks ed.

Is there any way you can add storage to your system?

"A lot of idle time"........that's your problem, smaller fires might help, additional storage will help.....

Sorry if we doubt the 'well seasoned' comment.

How long since it was split?

How was it stored since then?

JP

What do you exactly mean by storage and how would I go about doing that.As for the wood split and stacked under roof in lean to type building approx. 12 to 14 months ago.

I have the same problem with mine. Not quite as bad though. Idle time is the one to blame for most of the cresote build up. I am burning 2 year seasoned wood too.

What do you exactly mean by storage and how would I go about doing that.As for the wood split and stacked under roof in lean to type building approx. 12 to 14 months ago.

As the water comes out of the boiler instead of it going directly into the heating system have it go into a water storage tank......after the tank achieves temp, it should then go into the heating system.....This setup will allow the boiler to run full out in an effort to get the tank up to temp, then after the fire burns down, your heating needs will be met by the water you have stored and heated..........

As the water comes out of the boiler instead of it going directly into the heating system have it go into a water storage tank......after the tank achieves temp, it should then go into the heating system.....This setup will allow the boiler to run full out in an effort to get the tank up to temp, then after the fire burns down, your heating needs will be met by the water you have stored and heated..........
Is it possible you could send some pics if this is setup you have.Is it something you made, purchased etc.I assume I could talk to the guy who installed my boiler and see if he would know what to do on installing storage tank.I was thinking about heating my two garage on its own zone to try pull heat away from boiler and make it work harder still don't think that would be enough.And also thanks for all the prompt responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.