Creosote Build-Up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It would make me nervous to rip a hot fire with that much build up. I have two cat stoves that will run slow for periods of time. Once a day I will throw some small splits on coals and let it run wild for a bit to get the flue temps nice and hot before filling the stove to the brim and chugging along.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to stoves, but that would worry me.

I'll bet he is damping it down as soon as a fire gets going. Probably gets too warm in the room. Maybe he could mix in some wood bricks from Tractor Supply with his regular wood if it is too wet. And let him know to let the fire burn hot for a while (open a window if it gets too hot). The glass should clean up with a hot fire.
It would scare me to know creosote was possibly going to start leaking somewhere behind the stove, a house fire waiting to happen.
I believe you nailed it.

How long ago was it installed? Do you know if the chimney has ever been cleaned since it was installed and if so what condition was it in?

Sent from my 7040T using Tapatalk

How long ago was it installed? Do you know if the chimney has ever been cleaned since it was installed and if so what condition was it in?

Sent from my 7040T using Tapatalk
It's 2 or 3 years old and I remember he said it wasn't cleaned before this season but it was cleaned prior to last year's season. They only use it on the weekends.