Q&A Creosote Build-up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Hi there, Thank you for your time. I have a creosote build-up problem with my woodstove and I was hoping that you might have a suggestion. The creosote is a heavy build-up and it has a glaze on the outside. We had a chimney sweep out to the house and he sprayed the liner with an undisclosed chemical that he said would eat through the glaze and would have the rest of the creosote crumble off in 5 days. This did not occur and if you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Answer:

I assume that the sweep knows what he is doing. There are special chemicals, available only to sweeps. that can take off this "class 3" glazed creosote. I have never heard of a situation where these did not work, however I can not be sure your guy used the correct stuff.

It may be a good idea for you to use the ACS (anti-creosote) spray on your wood on a constant basis. This will usually help remove the glaze over a period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.