Creosote buildup on Stanley Waterford Errigal Wood Cooker

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

justinemtp22

Dec 5, 2009
Southeast MA
I have an older Stanley Waterford Errigal Wood Cooking stove. It's new to me and I'm just getting used to using it. I noticed today that after keeping a fire burning for about 2 days that there is quite a bit of creosote buildup under the round hotplate cleanouts on the right side. I'm burning mostly seasoned hardwood with a few wetter than normal pieces once and a while. I'm just wondering if this buildup is normal and if so how often do I need to clean it out. This type of stove is completely new to me so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Some wetter than normal pieces. some times some pieces is all it takes. I can always tell when my girl dont walk all the way to the good wood stack, and trys to cheat with unseasoned pieces due to the sheen on the glass. A little aint too bad, but a little every day can add up. Whats the chimney setup look like?

The chimney is stove pipe 3' straight up, 90deg to the right and 3' more of stove pipe directly into the chimney. I checked the stovepipe and chimney and it seems fine.....but the buildup inside the right side of the stove (opposite of the firebox) is a lot of real shiny creosote.

I found the problem. The passageway that goes from under the oven, then behind the oven up to the flue was almost 100% clogged. Once I cleaned that out it ran a lot better and no more creosote buildup.

Status
Not open for further replies.