Creosote buildup questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cabinclovis

Jan 10, 2014
Extreme SW Missouri
This is our third winter in an older home (circa 1976) which has a wood-burning insert. We've never burned wood before. The home is a A-frame with additional wings on two sides, one of which is two stories high. As a result, our chimney (triple-insulated pipe) is extremely tall and not accessible from the top. It does go straight up with no elbows of any kind. There is no masonry involved, just a tall metal pipe.

Last summer I purchased a round fireplace brush with enough extensions to reach to the top of the chimney pipe, and used it to clean out the pipe from inside the house. Quite a bit of small, flaky residue fell into the insert.

This year, we purchased our firewood from a local who has a tree trimming business. To make a long story short, the wood was not seasoned (rookie mistake which I won't make again!!). Now, smoke often comes into the house when the fireplace doors are opened wide enough to let me place a log on the fire. That never happened the last two years. A slight opening of the doors (enough to use the poker or the bellows) does not result in any blow-back smoke in the house. There is a shiny, black substance inside the firebox, which I assume is creosote. It will not come off with a wire brush. I also am assuming that the same thing has happened inside the pipe and that that might very well be the reason for the smoke coming back into the house. Do you experienced people agree or not????

I've been on the Internet, and I've pretty much eliminated all the other possible reasons for the smoke I found there. There's just nothing that's different about our house this year than last, and everything worked great last year. We still had old wood available from the previous owner.

One more thing to make the diagnosis even more complicated. I don't know when the fireplace insert was installed. The person from whom we bought the home is out of the country and unavailable. The insert may, in fact, be a newer model. I just don't know.

Finally, if you agree that my smoking problem is most likely the result of creosote build-up, what should I do? From what I can see, the best option available at this time seems to be a chemical powder. Right or wrong? One product said to just put it on the logs and start a hot fire. After several repetitions, the stage 3 creosote should be either gone or converted to the more easily removed stage 1. I wonder if just burning the fire would remove the stage 3 creosote all the way to the top of my very tall chimney pipe (approximately 30')?

We've finally just stopped using the fireplace, which is sad considering the extreme cold snap we just suffered through! What suggestions do you experienced people have? I'd really like to get my fireplace up and going again!

The pipe may still be plugged at the very top, or if there is a cap screen, that could be plugged. Try to get it all clean, then try to buy some kiln dried wood to avoid the problem for the rest of the season.

Last edited:
x2
clogged screen

One more thing, since your in "Missoura"....get some Eastern Red Cedar(should be plenty around there) that is reasonably dry. Throw a stick or two of that on the bottom of your load. It burns hot & fast & will help keep the temps up on your other marginal firewood.

agree with everything said above with one addition stop using the wood you have. use it next year. if you coated your chimney with creosote you would be chancing a chimney fire. the only thing that worked for me on the shiny type of creosote was a csl log. chimney sweeping log. and you would have to wait 4 weeks for it to dry up the creosote enough to run a brush up the pipe. i've tried a brush on the shiny stuff and it did nothing until i used the log. i now use the log for the last fire of the season and the run a brush just before starting a fire on the next burning season and everything comes off.

Status
Not open for further replies.