creosote buildup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jertola

Sep 20, 2013
Long Island
Ok, I have a question for all of you veteran pellet masters out there. I just finished burning the last some garbage pellets that I had left over from last year while it wasn't too cold. I noticed that they left behind a lot of creosote. It's mostly in the ash pan area especially on the lower door of my P61a. This stuff is like tar and will not come off with any normal means. Just wondering if anyone else has run into this and how you got it off. I was thinking of trying some white vinegar or maybe even some non flammable paint thinner if that didn't work. Any thoughts?

Ok, I have a question for all of you veteran pellet masters out there. I just finished burning the last some garbage pellets that I had left over from last year while it wasn't too cold. I noticed that they left behind a lot of creosote. It's mostly in the ash pan area especially on the lower door of my P61a. This stuff is like tar and will not come off with any normal means. Just wondering if anyone else has run into this and how you got it off. I was thinking of trying some white vinegar or maybe even some non flammable paint thinner if that didn't work. Any thoughts?
I remember having that sticky black stuff few years ago from burning damp BBS pellets..[newbie at the time]
Ran the P61a on stove temp on #5 or 6 for couple hrs....the Black tar stuff turned to a light brown ash which was easy to vacuum.
basically just run the stove super hot for a good while..open the windows if it;s too warm in the house.
there are some crap pellets out there that are easy on the wallet but can mess up your stove after.

Last edited:
I get it every year after burning on low. Some people think your stove must not be working right if you get creosote. I just know I've always had some. My vent is a straight out horizontal, if that makes a difference. If you wait till it gets really warm outside, you can easily scrape it off with a putty knife.

A, burn it hot and most times the crud will disintegrate. B, a good orange cleaner usually cuts the stuff pretty well

Reactions: rona
2009 I had my exhaust pipe get clogged with it, I have a 20' run up a chimney using only 3", learned about the leaf blower trick...and that did the trick!

Remove the combustion blower cover and clean in there and your venting. Never hurts to pull out the owners manual and get a refresher course in cleaning your stove. 90% of all my service calls are a lack of "correct cleaning". Everyone admits to cleaning their stove but most of those people admit to not cleaning it correctly.

Eric

Reactions: rona
Status
Not open for further replies.