Creosote check this weekend.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're a good man CHeath, it takes a lot for a guy to come on here and go through everything you've gone through so far. In the long run, safety is paramount. We ARE talkin' fire here.

That chimney after sweeping looks ok, probably will be better when you get that bigger brush. You're lucky to have a relatively easy access to the top.

You got some open ground there around the house too, that's a no-no, it should be all covered with woodpiles ;)

Reactions: pen
Ha! I have a stack you can see it in the video with maybe a cord and the my big long stack is in front of my truck. I need to get to work!!

You're a good man CHeath, it takes a lot for a guy to come on here and go through everything you've gone through so far. In the long run, safety is paramount. We ARE talkin' fire here.

That chimney after sweeping looks ok, probably will be better when you get that bigger brush. You're lucky to have a relatively easy access to the top.

You got some open ground there around the house too, that's a no-no, it should be all covered with woodpiles ;)

+1 on everything! Good work with the chimney - hopefully that works much better now!

Up and running. The Rutland cement is bubbling and making noises. This ok? image.jpg

Drawing WAY better. Sounds like a tornado. Lol

Reactions: Shane N

341° wall temp means your flue gas temp is likely around 600°-700° (surface temp x 2 = Internal gas temp)

So your in the "Good/Safe" zone there. But the Clay Liner is what matters the most.

Hopefully it sealed up pretty good and the Sote aint condensing out.

As for the Rutland Cement? When was it applied? It takes a little time to set up when applied pretty thick. It should be fine. I would smooth it out as it bubbles.

I put it on yesterday. It's had 12 hours. It's hard now and has stopped making noises tho. I was on edge a little after startup because the popping and cracking inside the chase bit it has stopped. I vacuumed it out really good so I know that there wasn't any sote in there at all. So far so good. Temps came up quick , draw is a lot better. Still don't have the good seasoned wood but its not wet. Most is all under 25% on the meter.

Chris, great that it's drafting better, but you are actually supposed to have a 1/4" rise per foot of run on the pipe.
What the heck happened to the rest of the video? I was getting nicely settled in and it went blank seemingly right in the middle.>>

Good read here. Thought you might end up having to chain whip the glaze out. Previous owner of my house ran a stove in the basement that dumped into the same main floor open fireplace flue. Pre sale inspector was amazed at the level of glaze he saw. Seller agreed to have it swept and ended up costing him a few hundred bucks more for the chain.

Chris, great that it's drafting better, but you are actually supposed to have a 1/4" rise per foot of run on the pipe.
What the heck happened to the rest of the video? I was getting nicely settled in and it went blank seemingly right in the middle.>>

I clicked on the link and it was all there. Like 5:02

As PapaDave said, it should have 1/4" rise per foot of Horizontal. So it would behoove you to remove the metal you propped the stove up with. That small incline helps the draft. Do you have 3 screws at each joint? Holding it all together?

As far as being afraid of burning hot. As long as you keep the flue clean and burn good fuel, getting temps to 1,000 (internal gas) isnt even an issue (dont make it common practice, but it can and will be done).

Burn some more Creo destroyer, keeps the temps Hot and when you get the 7x7 brush, hopefully whats in there will just flake off.

Sounds good. Yep I've got all the joints multi screwed together.

I clicked on the link and it was all there. Like 5:02
Yep, worked. I probably did somethin' goofy.
The black pipe should be male end toward the stove.:(
I think that's mainly to keep any creosote going back down into the stove rather than leaking out down the outside of the pipe.
Should be ok until you need to do something with the pipe.
Ok, you can hate me now.:p

Lol. Naw. I'm putting a 45 on it for next year. This one is out of here after this season. If it will just be safe till then.

When I raise the stove, its going to be on something steel its sitting on. I know cinder blocks will work fine but my luck, id get the one that had a weak spot in it and it would crumble while my stove was pumping the BTU's at 3 am lol. FIRE!!!!!!!!!

It was quite nice. Really draws hard bunk have dry wood this time also. Was 80 just before bed upstairs. House is 2200 sf also. I hate to shut it back down but I was directed to an oversight on one of the pipes. I didn't have it hooked up correctly and someone mentioned that I needed to get that fixed. The 2 foot section out of the wall should have went inside the elbow and I put it on the outside!!! What a Dumass. Lol. Ill Ask you guys. image.jpg

Those freakin pictures! Why do they turn!

Those freakin pictures! Why do they turn!

iPhone?

What way are you taking them? Turn.phone sideways when you take it. Your YouTube vids come out "Narrow" also. An indicator that your holding the phone vertical. Turn it horizontal (botton to the right). And they "should" post straight?

My iPad photos all come out straight and I turn it on it's side (horizontal w/ button on right).

Yea iPhone. Lets try it!!

image.jpg

Wooooooooooooooooo! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.