Creosote? How far down???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
I have heard it said that creosote only forms at the top of your stack roughly 3-4 ft down from the top. Since I have never cleaned my stack myself, I really can't say...Anyone with experience in cleaning stacks...Please share how far down does creosote form. Thanks :)

it can form anywhere the temp drops below the condensation point. Usually that is near the top but if you are not burning correctly it can happen anywhere in the system or if you are doing it perfectly (which is rare) it doesn't have to happen at all.

it can form anywhere the temp drops below the condensation point. Usually that is near the top but if you are not burning correctly it can happen anywhere in the system or if you are doing it perfectly (which is rare) it doesn't have to happen at all.
For the last 4 yrs I have had a guy come out and clean it. Well...last year he told me that I could go to every other year because of the way I was burning. He was shocked when I told him I averaged between 10-13 face cords a year. He asked me what was my secret was and I told him I burn it at least twice a week at 600F....He said "I've been cleaning stacks for almost 25 years....yours is perfect, See you in 2 years." :)

Well if it works for you good but i typically don't like to recommend that way of burning i would rather see you get it up to temp every time you reload the stove and hold it there for 10 mins or so unless it is a cat stove then things are different. . But if it works and you are not burning the stack out with a chimney fire keep doing what you are doing. Don't change what works.

Well if it works for you good but i typically don't like to recommend that way of burning i would rather see you get it up to temp every time you reload the stove and hold it there for 10 mins or so unless it is a cat stove then things are different. . But if it works and you are not burning the stack out with a chimney fire keep doing what you are doing. Don't change what works.
The reason I brought up the thread is because I want to clean the stack myself and I just want a good idea of what to expect..

I clean mine twice a season. Once before the season starts, and once between Xmas and New Years since I'm off that whole week. Peace of mind IMO

Reactions: NordicSplitter
The reason I brought up the thread is because I want to clean the stack myself and I just want a good idea of what to expect..
If the sweep is right you should have no problem at all cleaning it yourself. What will you be using to clean with? Generally the cap can get a fair amount of buildup even if you are burning well if so you may need to go to the top to clean it.

If the sweep is right you should have no problem at all cleaning it yourself. What will you be using to clean with? Generally the cap can get a fair amount of buildup even if you are burning well if so you may need to go to the top to clean it.
I have a 14ft stack. Straight shot no bends. Hop on the roof..take the top off and brush away:)

I have a 14ft stack. Straight shot no bends. Hop on the roof..take the top off and brush away:)

Then you should have no issues at all. Once a year should be plenty but if it is that easy i would check it mid season just to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.