Creosote issues with newmac cl86

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crowellsr

Sep 13, 2015
Ontario
I have a newmac cl86 wood/oil combination and it seems to be a creosote factory. I'm burning two year old maple and beech and the fire gets so hot that you can barely stand to have the firebox door open for more than a split second. I also have no issues keeping the house warm during the winter. It gets quite a bit of creosote build up (more than I think it should get). I checked the flue draft and it is -0.04 to -0.06 where the manual says minimum -0.03 maximum -0.05. It currently has a single wall 8 inch flue with two 45 degree bends and a barometric damper in between.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is there any difference in creosote before and after the barometric damper ? Does the barometric damper door is full of creosote ?

I didn't notice when I took it off to clean it whether one end was worse than the other. The barometric damper door does get a little bit of creosote on the back of it but nothing like the inside of the flue pipe.

You say you're burning 2 year old wood. Has it been split for 2 years or was it in blocks and recently split?

The creosote only seems to build up in the flue pipe, I don't seem to get much in the outside insulated chimney. The wood has been split for two years and I periodically check with a moisture meter

It's only been a little over a month since the last cleaning. I'm pretty new to wood burning so I'm trying to avoid any problems I can

Would you say that it is building up in the area or adjacent to where the pipe attaches to the masonry thimble. Masonry is a big heat sink and could be cooling the pipe where it slips in to the thimble.

I assumed this was going into a masonry chimney. No?

I guess I missed that! Sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.